One light to rule them all? Reef and fresh plants

Gamefe

So I’m planning a 5’ long 26” tall 125 planted tank. My plan is to spend 3-5 years relearning the hobby and building up a full apex automated kit before switching to reef. I do t want to buy equipment twice. Will reef lights work for fresh plants? They should right? Are there lights that you can crank up/down the par power?

Start build - easy plants and tetras
Then move - full planted tank
Do that for 2-3 years (maybe dabble in discus? Idk still researching)
End goal is seahorses, Derasa Clams, Xenia, mushrooms, lr.

86 ssinit

Different types of lights! Salt lights are much brighter. Next these are 2 completely different type of systems. 2-3yrs? Most fish live between 3-5yrs and discus are closer to 10yrs.
Best to do this with 2 different tanks!!

coralbandit

Beyond the light difference [6500k fresh / 10,000k - 14,000k marine ] you will likely need to completely remove the substrate and any decos you may have acquired for the FW tank .
After that if you don't run a sump /wet dry for your planted tank you will likely be changing filters and buying marine specific equipment like a protein skimmer and RO water system needed by most who want inverts in their marine tank .
Seahorse are really lazy animals besides being slow .
They demand a lot of upkeep mostly in feeding ..

Learn proper FW maintenance for a large tank and become proficient at it while enjoying it and then look at marine ..
Just me , I have made custom sumps since the 1980s for both FW and marine .
They really should be different especially if you really want a planted tank .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnpups
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views
sipec
Replies
Views