One Fish You'd Rather Not Have But You're Too Soft To Return It

kbn
Cough up, let's hear you all

Gypsy13
Angel fish. Oops, didn’t listen to the whole title evidently. I don’t have an angel fish. Been there done that. The one fish I have an want to return but my heart won’t let me is a giant danio. Named Slick. Seems perfectly happy collecting guppy fry.

goldface
You guys are going to hate me for saying this: That award goes to my betta, which is the longest fish I own since restarting this hobby. I purchased him as a baby boy at Petco.

kbn
You guys are going to hate me for saying this: my betta fish, which is the longest fish I have since restarting this hobby. I purchased him as a baby boy at Petco.
I'm Surprised.

Gypsy13
You guys are going to hate me for saying this: That award goes to my betta, which is the longest fish I own since restarting this hobby. I purchased him as a baby boy at Petco.

Could never hate you. Considering my stupid, I mean lovely Slick, I’d have to hate me first.

goldface
I'm Surprised.
Sometimes the genes are good, and other times not. He’s an ugly duckling. What can I say? I’m incredably shallow.

Could never hate you. Considering my stupid, I mean lovely Slick, I’d have to hate me first.
You’re too nice .

midna

lol, that's why i'm hesitant to buy a baby betta. it'd be cool to see what they grow up into, but what if they turn ugly??!

goldface
Oh, I forgot; I wish I got all “normal” varieties of White Cloud Mountain Minnows, instead of a mix with the Golden ones. In this case, their natural colors look so much nicer, in my opinion.

kbn you have to tell us yours. Afterall, you started this thread .

smee82
Neon tetras my wife made me buy. Ive whittled them down to 8 but she won't let me get rid of the last few.

So I guess not too soft to return them because I would do it in a heartbeat but just can't do it.

Gypsy13
Oh, I forgot; I wish I got all “normal” varieties of White Cloud Mountain Minnows, instead of a mix with the Golden ones. In this case, their natural colors look so much nicer, in my opinion.

kbn you have to tell us yours. Afterall, you started this thread .

Send me your golds!

aussieJJDude
One of my 'adult' goldies. This goldie doesn't have a nice pretty split caudal fin like other fancies have, and it's very streamlined in appearance... I think that this goldie was the reason why I had a couple of single tailed babies....

I wish I could just swap it, but knowing how goldies are cared for.... I don't have the heart to allow the chance for someone to plop it in a small 5 gallon or bowl...

Gypsy13
One of my 'adult' goldies. This goldie doesn't have a nice pretty split caudal fin like other fancies have, and it's very streamlined in appearance... I think that this goldie was the reason why I had a couple of single tailed babies....

I wish I could just swap it, but knowing how goldies are cared for.... I don't have the heart to allow the chance for someone to plop it in a small 5 gallon or bowl...

Whew! I was afraid to listen! Lol. Bet it’s still beautiful. Admit it! C’mon. You know it is.

goldface
Send me your golds!
I’ve had them quite a while, so I am a little attached to them. I just won’t be getting any more .

Gypsy13
I’ve had them quite a while, so I am a little attached to them. I just won’t be getting any more .

I’ve only got five. Need a few more. Gimme!

goldface
I’ve only got five. Need a few more. Gimme!
I would gladly give them all to you. I know they’d be going to a good home. Too bad we aren’t neighbors though .

Gypsy13
I would gladly give them all to you. I know they’d be going to a good home. Too bad we aren’t neighbors though .

Right? I’m still working on getting ready to work on my forty long. Then I’ll get more minnows and danios.

goldface
Right? I’m still working on getting ready to work on my forty long. Then I’ll get more minnows and danios.
Let me know if you need anything once you start setting up. I have some hardscape materials that I don’t need. I also have some experience shipping plants.

MWR
A few years back I ordered four albino tiger Oscars to give to a friend that was going to be visiting. They were advertised as being two inches but showed up at an inch (must of been measured with one of those "fish farm rulers"). Since they were so small, I went to Petsmart and bought four bigger Oscars to give to my friend. Two years ago I was going to take the four albino tiger Oscars to the same friend during a visit (we live twelve hours from each other), but was informed by my friend that he took all his tanks down. I now have two mated/proven pairs of adult albino tiger Oscars occupying two separate 125 gl tanks. I knew I should of never let any Oscars into the fish room!

aussieJJDude
Whew! I was afraid to listen! Lol. Bet it’s still beautiful. Admit it! C’mon. You know it is.
Not exactly beautiful... very much my ugly duckling tbh... but its close to my other goldies, and there's nothing physically wrong, besides visual appeal. I know he's not my fav, but I do love him regardless.... he still represents happiness in my life.

CloudTheFluffy
A yo-yo loach that was one giant d-bag. He is mean to the cories the other two yo-yos and whoever comes to close to the bottom. He bullied one loach to death before he passed on. I didn't want to get rid of him because he was very playful and interacted with me for food.

He jumped out of the tank during the start of a wc and my cat took him and ran. He had a nice grave in my kittys tummy.

Seasoldier
A female guppy I got by mistake with a group of 9 Rosy Barbs, it must have been tiny because I didn't see it in the bag at my LFS when I bought them. I've avoided guppies like the plague since being overrun by them when I first started in the hobby & actually think of them as a 'pest fish' but I guess this little lady is harmless.

kbn
As I started this, I should confess too. I have a big, fat, potbellied,unproportional fancy goldfish. That my brother chose at the shop. Did I wish I could give it back, but now I sort of like it, I can't really say

Platylover
None of the fish I currently have would I wish specifically to be rid of, although I wouldn’t mind having less tanks. This being said, there has only ever been one Fish I’ve really, really did not like. That was my jerk of jewel cichlid. He was so mean to the other fish, I was so happy when I finally took him to a good LFS. Hopefully he’s now in with fish that can terrorise him as much as he’ll terrorise them.

Edit: I was trying to think of one I was to soft to return, and I can’t really think of any(it wouldn’t be currently), but perhaps my snails I had? They aren’t a fish but I got really sick of them eating my plants. Your pretty much had to have a veggie or IAL in there 24/7 or they’d eat the plants. At some points I also wish I wouldn’t have had my bettas, not because I disliked them but rather I had so much trouble with them and felt like someone else could do better for them.

Aureus
I kind of regret getting my Platies, in all honesty. I'm not a huge fan of livebearers in the first place, but my mom fell in love with them at the store, so I was kind of pressured into getting them. They limit my stocking options a bit and they haven't even bred after a month of me having them, despite the 1:2 m/f ratio. It makes me wonder if the male is either infertile or just not interested in the ladies...

Wraithen
My bloodfin tetras. They just have so many weird genetic issues showing right now, and while hardy, they are sensitive to many things that may not kill them, but will deform them. Also, now that I'm setting up a 180, I could've gotten a bigger schooling fish and let them grow out short term.

bitseriously
For my birthday a couple months ago, my wife and 7yo son got me a beautiful mature gold ram from Big Als. We'd been at the store a week prior, and I dragged them over to show them how beautiful they were (we already had two barely sexually mature non-gold gbr in the DT, so they knew the species). I might have said something like "omg I would so love to have some of these".
A week later, on my birthday, they secretly run back to the store and buy the gold ram ($25 I might add), and bring it home and add it to an already overstuffed 20 gallon quarantine tank (10 days after the quarantine tank was set up, so now quarantine is 10d longer).
Anyways, it turned out that my q-tank was one of those quarantine tank of death situations, and nearly everything died including the ram. So to make a sad story short, I don't have the ram, so it's not one I wish I could return, but I wish I'd never had it (for it's sake, rest its soul, and for my 7yo, who didn't take it well - sort of one of those "you let our love for you die" situations).

ASHLEY R COOK
I haven't had this problem yet. I've already returned a blue gourami and two female Molly meanies. Lol
I do feel so horrible every time tho. I name all my fish and do get attached but I want a happy community.

luckdown
I've had two. One I gave to my best friend to get rid of him and the other I still have.

First was a male Platy who killed everything in his tank.

Second is my male betta village idiot. He's by far my prettiest and I love him. But he's so skittish that he's constantly trying to jump out of his tank the second anything touches the water. Including his food. Taking care of him is so stressful and hard and I hate it. But I don't think anyone else could handle him better. I've adapted to learn how to feed him and clean his tank with the least issues possible. But he's still such a pain. Do not want but he's better off with me since I already know how to deal with his issues.

Really wish I could get rid of him though and find a nicer male. Thankfully I've gotten better at checking personalities before getting any bettas so hopefully I won't end up with another male who's this difficult.

Gypsy13
For my birthday a couple months ago, my wife and 7yo son got me a beautiful mature gold ram from Big Als. We'd been at the store a week prior, and I dragged them over to show them how beautiful they were (we already had two barely sexually mature non-gold gbr in the DT, so they knew the species). I might have said something like "omg I would so love to have some of these".
A week later, on my birthday, they secretly run back to the store and buy the gold ram ($25 I might add), and bring it home and add it to an already overstuffed 20 gallon quarantine tank (10 days after the quarantine tank was set up, so now quarantine is 10d longer).
Anyways, it turned out that my q-tank was one of those quarantine tank of death situations, and nearly everything died including the ram. So to make a sad story short, I don't have the ram, so it's not one I wish I could return, but I wish I'd never had it (for it's sake, rest its soul, and for my 7yo, who didn't take it well - sort of one of those "you let our love for you die" situations).

Zeeth29
My zebra danios. They were great for getting me into the hobby, survived my mistakes and kept me engaged but after a couple of years they are kinda........plain. l can't help but wonder if there was another fish I could have gotten instead.

wodesorel
I had an opaline gourami sold to me years ago as a dwarf for my 20 gallon. There were no local clubs to arrange a new home for him, and I knew the chain store would kill anything brought back per policy, so I did what I could to make that stupid fish happy. I do miss him, he died in a freak outbreak of neuro symptoms that affected my entire tank, but he was a bully to my kuhlis and it was sort of a relief when he kicked it. If he had lasted like one more year, the good LFS opened and would have happily taken him!

Fanatic
Eh, I really cannot participate in this thread. I only have fish that I actually wanted, but there were a few that I didn’t want to return.
One was a panda cory, so cute, harmless, but I ended up returning the poor thing.

Mike1995
I don't have him anymore but my Midas cichlid. He was absolutely the most beautiful fish I ever had. Pure pearl white with big blue eyes. He was unbelievably mean tho :/ I had red devils as well and I was able to have three together in a 150. but my big Midas wanted nothing to do with anything. For the longest time I couldn't part with him but I had too... A 150 gallon for one fish was kinda silly

finnipper59
Well, at least Slick earns his keep by keeping you guppy population down. All danio species, regardless of size are normally schooling fish. Let your heart tell you that he may get bought with a few other giant danios and get a chance to spawn in a larger tank with his future tank mates. I've got a small school of pygmy corys I wish I never bought. They're so small in my 55 gallon tank that I only see them when one comes up for air. I also see them when I vacuum the tank because I have to be careful not to suck them up...but my fish store won't take them back.
Angel fish. Oops, didn’t listen to the whole title evidently. I don’t have an angel fish. Been there done that. The one fish I have an want to return but my heart won’t let me is a giant danio. Named Slick. Seems perfectly happy collecting guppy fry.

75g Discus Tank
I got 2 clown loaches for a 29.

I then realized that they can grow huge.

One of them died during a cold day when my heater stopped working.

The other one is still in the 29. I want to return him to a store, but then I think that the same cycle of going into wrong sized tanks will happen.

finnipper59
I got 2 clown loaches for a 29.

I then realized that they can grow huge.

One of them died during a cold day when my heater stopped working.

The other one is still in the 29. I want to return him to a store, but then I think that the same cycle of going into wrong sized tanks will happen.
Your not alone. We are like kids in candy store when we get in a fish store and see all these beautiful little fish...not remembering or realizing they will grow. I'm cycling a 2nd 55 gallon fish tank now because the 5 quarter size angelfish I put in my community tank grew up. Good luck with your decision on returning it.

fissh
Glo danios, my friend gave me 20!

SegiDream
I had an endler guppy that came by mistake with an order of sparkling gourami. I kept him for about 6 months with my mollies and cardinals in the 20g. He fell in love with one of the baby molly girls, poor little guy swam so hard to keep up with her. I finally gave him away to a keeper of other endler guppies last month. Sad to see him go but hopefully he is enjoying the company of other endler guppies, and maybe doesn't have to swim so hard all day...

finnipper59
I had an endler guppy that came by mistake with an order of sparkling gourami. I kept him for about 6 months with my mollies and cardinals in the 20g. He fell in love with one of the baby molly girls, poor little guy swam so hard to keep up with her. I finally gave him away to a keeper of other endler guppies last month. Sad to see him go but hopefully he is enjoying the company of other endler guppies, and maybe doesn't have to swim so hard all day...
Some decisions are hard, but they often turn out for the best.

Fashooga
Right now...my JD...she’s a total witch...but my wife likes the fish.

Happy wife, happy life.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views
GinkoTracks
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies