One fish acting weird?

1. gh74 Member Member

I have a fish in the tank that keeps jumping out of the water and hitting the hood etc,can anyone tell me why its acting so weird yet i have another one the same and it is fine.

Cheers

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Hi, What size tank do you have? What fish is doing this, say if its a comet or something they are jumpers and will do this.

Also could you post your water parameters if possible?

3. gh74 Member Member

i had just moved them into a rio 240,water parameters all all perfect tested yesterday,its a ...pink tailed chalceus.

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

There is your problem right there, Chalceus jump! Chalceus are a schooling fish also in the wild. A reasonably sized school would require a extremely large tank. If you have more than one, you need to get six or more. Smaller groups become aggressive with one another.Chalceus tend to be shy and skittish fish that can exhibit moderate aggression they should never be housed with small fish or invertebrates that they may eat. Pink Tailed Chalceus can grow up to ten inches or more in length and are excellent jumpers, very much so when startled. A secure lid is a necessity when keeping these fish. Chalceus should be provided spacious aquariums in low-traffic, low-noise environments.

Hope this helps!

5. gh74 Member Member

Great info there motodude really helps cheers ;) i learn something new everyday :)

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Word for word what my LFS owner said ;) Yes, He said they could be jumping a lot at the moment because the school isn't big enough, Sometimes they turn somewhat aggressive or other wise they get a little bit loopy. He recommend returning or rehoming one of the fish, it would actually do better alone than the pair. Current tank conditions you couldn't home 6 or more in your 240l or ~60g (US) tank.

7. gh74 Member Member

Tell me motodude,how may decent sized fish could you stock in a 240L tank,funny i have never seen them been aggressive towards each other or any of the other fish.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Your tank is about 62g and is on the small side of big aquariums. What I'd personally do is just keep the one and try to rehome or return the second. There is no general guideline of how many decent sized fish could fit in your tank. Almost every fish has different water requirements, aquascaping needs, and temperament. I don't see you safely and humanely fitting a school of 6 in your tank.

To sum it up in short answer, Its almost impossible to tell what can fit in your tank unless you had some planning or a list to see what would be compatible together.

9. gh74 Member Member

I never think of things that way i just buy the fish if i like them lol,as for my tank its all wood and a few plastic plants.

cheers