One eye?

1. Wallaby Initiate Member

Is there anything I should be doing for my new little goldfish to make life easier for him since he only has one eye?

He seems to be doing fine but I've only had him for a few hours... I fed him a little and he missed quite a few of the pellet things...

Any tips and tricks for the poor disabled fishy? =)

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Awww, poor baby.

Pristine water will help stave off any infections if it's a new injury.

To help him eat, I'd suggest floating pellets. Before you drop them in, splash the water with your fingers so he can see the action, then drop the pellets. He'll learn soon that splashes/your fingers = food, and eventually you'll probably be able to hand feed him. :)

According to our goldie members here, pellets are better than flakes because they can suck the pellet off the top without sucking in too much air (which can cause swim bladder and other problems).

Do you have any pics of your new little rescue?

3. Wallaby Initiate Member

Thanks!
    I don't have any pictures of him yet, he moves way too fast! Haha All the pictures just kept coming out as an orange blur. =P

4. yukoandk Member Member

Hello!

I have an one-eye goldfish as well. He's a copper pompom and one day I found him with his eye torn and hanging off his face. I didn't know what kind of accident he had, but it was pretty terrifying. So, without getting into graphic details, he lost his eye, his eye socket healed, and now he's an one eye. It took him a little getting used to, but he does quite well with his one eye nowadays. All my goldfish can eat out of my fingers, and I do sneak him a few extra bites to compensate for his disability.

Congrats on the new addition, I'm sure your fish will feel right at home in no time!

5. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I used to have a common fantail goldfish in my pond with one eye, but he was born with it missing, once they get used to their surroundings, having only one eye doesn't seem to be too much of a problem :)

6. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I have a black moor with big protruding eyes. She can't see very well, but she can taste well, and if she tastes anything near by she just starts gobbleing.

Maybe your guy just needs to adjust to the new surroundings for a bit before he'll start eating

7. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Pick a corner where the food will naturally collect and use that as the feeding corner. Splash the water a bit then drop the food there. I agree with using the floating pellets as they will give the little one a longer amount of time to find the food at the surface. It will learn where to go for food fairly quickly. And yes, when they are small they seem to have only one speed - fast!