One Betta; 3 Neon Tetras & One Cory - anything else?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Johnny Magrinho, Jul 9, 2015.

1. J

Johnny Magrinho New Member Member

Hi all, I'm very new to fish-keeping and I'm just a bit concerned about how to look after my fish in the best way possible.

It's probably worth noting that I happened to find this 20 litre tank in a house I was working in. I was there to carry out general maintenance work and some idiot forgot about their fish. There was one blue/black Siamese fighting fish and 4 neon tetras in the same tank. It was quite dirty and looked in a bad way. I took it all home with me as nobody was going to claim them if I didn't.

Since bringing them home, one of the tetras has died, but the other fish are still OK. I've added a stone Buddha ornament, 2 plants (one tall and one short - I know the Betta has the labyrinth organ and needs to be near the surface so the tall plant helps with this) and have the submersible heater and filter. I've got the thermometer in too so I can keep an eye on the temperature at all times. I bought two albino corydoras - which I LOVE - but one has died after about a week. Pretty sure it had swimbladder as was suggested by the people at Pets at Home. My ammonia level was too high so I've sorted that out today. It's been quite stressful because I obviously want them all to be healthy and enjoy life but I didn't know how hard it would all be. I'm definitely wanting to keep all the fish and maybe even get a bigger tank in the future, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right now.

I'm just wondering, in my 20 ltr tank, with two plants, one buddha, one betta, 3 neon tetras and now one cory, is there anything else I need? And I can I add another cory (after I'm 100% sure my ammonia levels are better and I make sure it's in good condition) or should I look for another kind of bottomfeeder? The two corys loved being together and they're wonderful fish to have.

Just dont want my one remaining cory to be depressed or whatever from being alone.

Any help at all would be awesome. And would a snail be a good idea to add? Maybe a shrimp? I don't want to add too much as it's a small tank.

Cheers guys if anyone can help.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    That tank is too small for neon tetras and cories, they also should be in groups of 6+ of their own species.
    Bettas should not be kept with other fish, imo because they can be aggressive but definitely not in that small of a tank.

I see your profile says you don't know the nitrogen cycle, so read up on that.

3. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Have you read about the Nitrogen Cycle?

First off I don't recommend keeping any other fish with a betta and im sure others agree. Secondly the tank is to small to house cories or neon tetras as they are schooling fish.

To keep your fish healthy as possible do 25% water changes every other day when doing water changes use Seachem Prime. This will help get rid of ammonia and detoxify the water.You should do this until the tank has properly cycled.

Anders247 you beat me lol

4. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Even if the fish wereall getting along fine, the tanks is too small for that biomass.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!

Yes, basically what the others have said, except for the betta needing to be kept alone, which in some cases, they don't have to be.

First off, the tank is too small for either neons or cories, as both are much too active and need to be in schools of six or more. The tank is perfect for that ONE betta though. :)

What I would do is:

Read up on the nitrogen cycle like Anders suggested, it's very important when keeping fish.

Buy a liquid test kit of your own if you don't already have one. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is pretty good, just stay away from the strips, as these are inaccurate and will be more expensive in the long run.

Rehome the neons and cory OR get at least a 20 gallon tank and up their numbers to six or more of each.

Once you are sure your tank is cycled, you might be able to do a snail or shrimp, depending on the personality of your betta.

Also, remember to give the betta a filter and heater if he doesn't already have one. :)

And don't forget the water conditioner for water changes! Seachem's Prime is a really great water conditioner! :D

Good luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice