One Angry Betta

poeticinjustices

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All right so 75% of V's decor arrived today. Basically, all but the centerpiece which will be really easy to add in when it does arrive.

Up until then, V has had nothing but hammock and a betta log. He has been healing from fin rot/general damage after his stint in the betta clink (read: evil cup of evilness).

He's always been active and playful so I really didn't think the new decor would change his behavior much.

I was wrong.

Since adding the decor, he has been racing around the tank. His fins are normally flowing behind him and now whenever he stops swimming he gives them a good stretch. Not flaring his gills at all, just opening his fins a lot. It looks amazing.

I feel like he's become territorial now that there is territory to protect. All of the sudden he is much angrier at his reflection again and whenever the dog passes the tank he goes wild. I mean he displays and everything, cheeky little thing.

I knew bettas were smart and needed stimulation but I have never for a moment considered V to appear bored or unhappy. Now he won't go to bed. I covered the side of the tank where his log is where he usually sleeps but he just keeps peeking around the cover and comes shooting out if anything moves, stretching his fins all "Ta daaaaaa! I'm here! Bow before me, peasants."

Just thought I would share. Even if a betta appears happy, try switching it up on him. He may just surprise you by showing you he is even happier.

I usually have to use the mirror so he will open his fins and I can assess his healing now he just does it naturally, not in a mean way they just seem to flow open more as he swims. I can almost hear him saying, "Soooo? How do you like me now?!"

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's really funny!

Bettas are amazing fish.

Ours has been mad at us for 2 weeks.
We moved his tank. Just at a different angle, not a whole lot.

Up until a couple of days ago he refused to come out of his castle. If he did, he went under the heater or between the wall and his moss ball.

He's finally getting over it. Brat!

atb224155

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dang, I just switch my male betta from his tank to another one that I have. He's been building a nest since...

HappyKnitter

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Oro likes to swim around the plants and goes behind the rocks. He rests on top of the elodea plant that is near the bubbles and it rocks him . I think the betta girls are even smarter..I can't wait to get them in the 10gal.

New Threads