One Angelfish?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All--
I have had aquariums my whole life, but I haven't kept fish in years, So I am beginning again.  I plan to start a 20 gallon aquarium in a month or so.  I want a community tank and was wondering if I could put in ONE Angelfish.  I wasn't sure if they needed pairs or schools.
Thanks!!

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My angel does fine by herself. She's in a 29 gallon with swordtails, cories and a bushnose. She is a little agressive sometimes towards the swordtails, but the swords seem to handle it just fine.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One angel is just fine. It will look very nice in a tank that size.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I suppose 1 Angelfish would be OK in a 20 gallon tank. But I personally would not keep any Angels in a 20 gallon tank (but that's just me). The reason for this is that their finnage is long and they're not small fish either, so they need more space. I always try - I know this may sound "weird" to some people - to put myself into the position of fish. I know that I would not want to spend my entire life in a small enclosed space. And I am sure no fish would want that either. I am just setting up a 75 gallon tank that will have only 2 Angelfish in it. The rest of fish will be small schooling fish. If I wanted to have fish like Oscars or Discus, I'd like to have around a 200 gallon tank for them. (And even bigger if I had the space and the time for it.)

I am not discouraging you from getting that Angelfish - it's up to you. But I just wanted to share some personal thoughts on the subject. If you haven't gotten the tank yet, do you think you could perhaps get a 30 gallon tank instead of a 20 gallon tank? The Angelfish would have it much better in at least 30 gallons of water. Once again, this is JUST A SUGGESTION.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 29 gallon would be good as well.. The glass 29 I had would be nice for an angel because it's a taller tank and angels like the extra height.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gargoyle said:
A 29 gallon would be good as well.. The glass 29 I had would be nice for an angel because it's a taller tank and angels like the extra height.
Yes

In fact, I will have 2 Angelfish in my 30 gallon tank too.

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
all angel fish i think must be diffrent cuz My angel that lives with a dwarf and Normal size grom few swords cory, loch ect and he/she is Fine she has never picked on anyfish and even lets the groms feel him/her Up with the tenticals. People say u cant have Normal size groms with dwarf one but mine love eachouther. My large Powder blue grom about 7inch loves all my fish and gets along great with the dwar fire grom.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi genie,
i think one angelfish is fine, i've heard that angels are very territorial and aggressive eater, and they love taller tanks, don't keep them with goldies, they will nip the fins of goldies.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Thanks Everyone!! I still haven't figured out what fish I want. I am still researching compatibility and requirements.
--Genie

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
Hey Thanks Everyone!!  I still haven't figured out what fish I want.  I am still researching compatibility and requirements.
--Genie
All i know is there are many different types of angel fish. I would like a angel fish,but they are so delicate and when i did have them they died, and really did turn into angel fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom