Once and for all: Catfish don't blink!

Isabella
I was just reading a random page in my "Freshwater Aquarium Encyclopedia" (by John Dawes) that happened to be about Catfish. And as it happened, the page was talking about "blinking" Catfish. I see a lot of people around the forum thinking that Catfish really do blink. Well, once and for all, this is why they don't blink:

" ... have a habit that humans find particularly appealing: they "wink" at their owners. In reality, of course, they don't wink at all: rather, it is an effect created when a fish rotates its eyes quickly - as Corydoras species can do. As the eye is rotated downward, the pupil and iris disappear briefly from view, with the surrounding reflective tissues becoming momentarily visible. As the eye rotates back into its more normal orientation, the illusion of a wink is created ..." (Page 137)

And that's the whole mystery

Sabi
Thanks for that.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
why would osmeone think they blick....... I thought they didnt have eyelids. lol. Miley

Isabella
That's the point, they don't have eyelids, but nevertheless many people think they somehow "wink".

Tom
Those people don't know what they are talking about. Just kidding. That sounds very interesting.
Tom

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
lol - that's weird.... LOL Miley
Those people don't know what they are talking about. Just kidding. That sounds very interesting.
Tom
ya

Sabi
i've seen my cories and plecos doing that and had the opinion they blink.

nmwierman1977
Yeah I've seen my otos do that and thought they were blinking. Natalie

susitna-flower
And I thought HE LOVED ME :'( :'( Just to find out I'm just a speck in his eye he is trying to clear! Well, I still prefer to think there is some recognition behind it!

Fish in the Frozen North

Richard
Well thanks a bunch Isabella.. and here I was thinking my catfish winking and blowing kisses at me was because of my 'animal magnetism'.. LOL.

COBettaCouple
Well thanks a bunch Isabella.. and here I was thinking my catfish winking and blowing kisses at me was because of my 'animal magnetism'.. LOL.

LOL.. and instead they're rolling their eyes at you! yea, I noticed that happening when we had corys and it's cool to read what causes it.

TheEssigs
:

Isabella
And I thought HE LOVED MEJust to find out I'm just a speck in his eye he is trying to clear! Well, I still prefer to think there is some recognition behind it!

LOL! I am sure he loves you very much! Blinking has nothing to do with love and it's not his fault he has no eyelids, lol

Once again, your catfish loves you ... believe me, hehe. Maybe pretending to have eyelids is the way it tries to make you think it's blinking at you

LOL and instead they're rolling their eyes at you!yea, I noticed that happening when we had corys and it's cool to read what causes it.

They're probably rolling their eyes at us only when they're hungry, thinking "Will that sucker finally bring me some food or not!" ;D

COBettaCouple
LOL for 'blinking' catfish.

Top Bottom