Once active Platy now hiding - never recovered from fin rot?

1. e

elib1971 Valued Member Member

Hi. I have a platy who was once active but now spends all her time virtually immobile behind a piece of driftwood. She was one of two but the other passed away some time ago.

They both got fin rot and I treated with Erythromycin. One passed away, but this one showed every sign of getting better. That was about 4 months ago and I don't see evidence of fin rot now. But she never got her energy back and is now not even coming out at feeding time. I think she just waits for the food to come down to where she is.

I recently added the tetras, but she was hiding before then, so I don't think it is a response to the added stock.

The water parameters seem fine. I know that nitrates should not technically be at 0, but it is hard to read the water test kit. It is pretty close to 0. The ammonia and nitrite readings are easier and they are clearly fine. I vacuum half the tank every week with a 1/3 water change. I rotate new filters in regularly.

What could this be? Could the fin rot have permanently affected her even though it seemed to go away?

Thanks for any help! Eli in Canada

2. FriendsNotFood

FriendsNotFood Well Known Member Member

Hi Elib :) Sorry to hear about your sad fishy.
    Two questions...
    When you say ammonia and nitrite is clearly fine, you mean they're both 0?
    And whaat do you man by "rotate new filters regularly"? With biological filters they actually need very little maintenance (an occasional rinse with old tank water, or a wipe over to clean out algae etc). Other than that you really shouldn't change filter media regularly. If you're referring to activate carbon though, go ahead and change that every month :)

With diagnosing your fish, I'm really not sure. Some platys do like to have a friend, however they're not schooling fish so it shouldn't really be necessary. Edit: That said, don't go rushing out to buy another platy. From your tank stock list it looks like you're full ;)

Does she look bloated or cloudy eyed at all?
    Maybe it's worthwhile trying a different, more tempting food like blood worm or brine shrimp.

3. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I have a female platy that began hiding under a bridge ornament in one tank to avoid the male. I moved her to another tank long since however she still spends much of her time hiding even though the other fish do not bother her. Mine however, does come out to eat. If yours is still eating and looking healthy I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. I'm quite convinced that mine is totally neurotic, but she's as fat as a little pig and no one is harassing her. Hopefully yours is similar.

4. FriendsNotFood

FriendsNotFood Well Known Member Member

prepare for babies woooo

5. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Ha ha--I wish. But, no. She's been seperated from the male for more then 6 months now and has never shown an 'egg spot' nor have I seen a single platy fry in all that time... or even before for that matter. I apparently have 'magical' platies that never reproduce (though not from lack of trying on the male's part) :rolleyes:

6. OP
    OP
    e

elib1971 Valued Member Member

Ammonia and nitrite are both at 0. The filters I am talking about are carbon. No bloating or cloudy eyes. She actually came out yesterday for a few minutes. I guess she's just gotten into the habit of hiding. Thanks everyone. eli