On The Warpath - Need To Decimate The Snails In My Tank

1. RSababady

RSababady Well Known Member Member

I have given in.
    The snails have been overwhelming. Even removing 50 a week, they are still reproducing faster then I can remove them. So here is what I am doing:
    1. Reduce feeding of the fish by 50%
    2. Put in a snail trap - plastic container with lettuce
    I have read a lot and know there are different opinions on this subject - I have chosen this route and am opening this thread to share the experience.

Please let me know your thoughts - my goal is to eradicate the snails from the tank (450 litres with plants and fish, external filter, UV, CO2 and automatic feeder).

What do you think?

2. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

The most safe and effective way is to use copper sulfate. I have used this method before.

I would take all the fish out and just put the substance in. (follow directions on bottle)

Then rinse everything and change the substrate. Your plants may die so I would be ready to replace them.

3. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Snails will not get out of hand if your not overfeeding, so by reducing the amount of food your on the right track!

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I think you have a great plan in place. Your snail trap is great. Hopefully you are able to get it under control.

Have you ever thought about getting a couple of assassin snails? They can also help getting rid of the pest snails.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have found that snails can get out of hand even if you are not overfeeding if they find the environment to their liking.

This happens in only one of my six aquaria, fortunately. In my other five aquaria snails are either absent completely or very much under control. I try to feed a minimum amount in all my aquaria.

As I do not use medications or other chemicals I have siphoned my snails out at water change time and am happy with the results.

I will be interested to see the results of your chosen method and wish you well.

6. OP
    OP
    RSababady

thx toolman - that is what I discovered when researching the subject

Cheesearmada - I decided not to go down this route as I did not want to make such a drastic change. The tank is biologically stable and the nitrogen cycle seems to be very stable so I don't want any drastic changes.
    Thanx for your comment.

AllieSten - I have read that using other snails higher up in the food chain leads to moving the whole problem from one set of snails to another - so I opted out on this route.
    Thanks for your comment and I will keep you posted. I estimate that it will take about three months i.e. 6 water cycles at around 50 snails a go to reduce the number to a manageable level.

Rgds

Thankyou Redhark1 - your words have made me me more confident that I am going down the right path.......it will take some time and fishing out of snails at water cycles. I estimate some 6 cycles.

7. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Why not leave the snails in there? They help get rid of algae and left over food the fish don't eat. Though if you are really wanting to get rid of them i would have Snail Traps and if you have enough room for the stock you could get some Loaches like Dojos and Yoyos that eat snails. Good Luck making the world a snail free Place.

8. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

In my experience I found out ramshorn snails and pond snail are defenseless against assassin snails bladder snails are little hard for them and mts are harder so I suggest that if you have ramshorn and pond or even bladder snails get some assassins snails and they will help you to control them or even destroy them(i don't promise this about mts) also remember that as long as they don't cover your glass and not creat an unpleasant sight they are nothing except a very cheap and efficient clean up crew

9. OP
    OP
    RSababady

Lance0414 have nearly 500 snails (small and large) with eggs all over the plant leaves. The plants are looking worse now as their leaves are covered in holes....... I am literally overwhelmed by the population of the snails.
    Something has caused them to multiply like .... from the beginning of summer. Can't tell you what it is.

Sina-key: nicely put. They are a cheap and efficient clean up crew. Unfortunately I am overwhelmed by the quantity. There are 500+ snails in the tank and more to come as I can see eggs on most of the leaves of the bigger plants. Cannot cope any more and don't want to introduce yet another species of snails.

If I can get the quantity down to around 50, then I will be able to scoop them out every water change which I do every fortnight.

10. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Valued Member Member

i know how that feels, i had similar problems before, my aquarium was totally covered by 1000+ snails and it looked nasty eggs everywhere , i had no idea what to do so i just removed all the fishes saved 40% of clean water from the tank and cleaned everything cleaned all the eggs on the glasses and dipped the decorations and gravel in very hot water and after doing that i got freedom from those snails forever, haha that was intense battling those snails. Well all the best to you :)

11. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Overfeeding, Perfect Water(Warm, Hard, and Well Filtered), and Hiding Places are what these Snails need to breed. I would do as @Shadow2331 did but soak everything in vinegar and then leave it outside for a couple days so any eggs or snails still alive(These things survive NUKES!) have time to die.

12. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

Sina-key: nicely put. They are a cheap and efficient clean up crew. Unfortunately I am overwhelmed by the quantity. There are 500+ snails in the tank and more to come as I can see eggs on most of the leaves of the bigger plants. Cannot cope any more and don't want to introduce yet another species of snails.

If I can get the quantity down to around 50, then I will be able to scoop them out every water change which I do every fortnight.[/QUOTE]
    Assassin snails unlike pest snails need both male and female to reproduce and also need a very high protein diet for this and they only have 2 eggs i have them for 10 months and there is 11 now(there was 12 but others ate him)
    Once @acquaphobia told me that ghost shrimps ate pest snails and my lfs confirmed it too so you can give it a try
    There is another option as well but it could cause lots of trouble but definitely you get results since you have 50 gallon tank you can add yoyo loaches but you have to check it with stocking experts and told them what fishes you have and your tank dimensions and other things but if you can add them the pest snails will be gone in a short time
    The third option that i told you is considered one of the worst options after adding chemicals to your tank so watch out and ask from experts. Trap snails or adding assassin snails are the best ways to deal with this

13. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Reducing food/ algae in the tank is the best method, but it takes time before you see effects. Treating with medication results in a lot of decomposing snails with follow on problems. Using Assassin snails results in a population boom of them followed by a large die off.

14. OP
    OP
    RSababady

Sina-key just explained above that Assasin snails need both male and females to reproduce as well as a high protein diet - so theoretically, they can be kept under control a lot better then the pest snails I currently have don't you think?

15. OP
    OP
    RSababady

Making progress - Removed the first 53 snails from the snail trap this morning. The breakdown is interesting, as there were :
    • 8 large ones, around 1cm long ( I guess these are the reproducers, laying eggs everywhere)
    • 20 small ones, around 0,5cms long
    • the rest were tiny, less then 0,5cms long - mainly around a quarter of a cam long
    I am quite optimistic, as statistically after two weeks I should have no snails, but practically, I am sure this is just the first step in brining the population down. If this method works then I am happy to put the trap into the tank once a month for 2-3 days just to keep the population down. Will update the progress shortly.

16. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I guess if you wanted to sex them and remove one sex (not sure how to sex them, but never thought about it), but you will still need to purchase a lot in order to catch up to the pest reproduction. I think you are doing well with your current course of actions and it saves money on fish food at the same time.

17. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Assassin snails really help. I have had a colony for years and they have never taken over I have about thirty or forty now compared to hundreds. I had about three clean my ten gallon of pond snails.

18. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

You could sell them off. They will eat leftover fish food also. My colony ran out of snails long ago and it still functions.

19. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I've heard of people using Dwarf Puffers to control snails, but I also understand they're difficult to keep and fairly aggressive. Perhaps you could ask a French chef to visit and just leave some butter and garlic lying around.

20. Chaotiklown

Chaotiklown New Member Member

Get assassin snails. Limpets are really the only one's that won't mess with. Unless the assassins have babies