On The Verge of My First Fishy Kidnapping

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Back around Thanksgiving, my mother's betta was very ill. He was living in a betta bowl. He came here to my house for treatment and now has a 5 gallon cycled tank with heater and filter. He's made a full recovery. My mother has had a very busy holiday season, so she said for me to keep him until after Christmas.

My mother still doesn't know how she's going to be able to set up the 5g tank as far as plugging everything in (he lived in her kitchen), so I'm crossing my fins she decides that she doesn't want him back. She's still clueless on the nitrogen cycle and gets a blank look when I explain it to her. They only live 10 minutes away, so if she decides she really does want him back, I can keep an eye on the water parameters for her.

I've gotten attached to the little fellow. He's got spunk for being 2 1/2 years old and has A LOT of fight in him.

I also want to take this opportunity to say "THANK YOU" to everyone who helped advise me on his recovery.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was reading your sig - where's the partidge in a pear tree?

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

:giggle: With the three french hens I've been trying to find on Craigslist;D

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

lol, I hope you get to keep him!

5. bubblefish Member Member

I say KIDNAP him!!

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

UPDATE: I told him a few days ago that he'd be going home soon. He didn't eat last night or this morning. He gets garlic juice weekly to boost his "senior-citizen" immune system. I'm going to give him a pea today to make sure he's not constipated.

I e-mailed my mother to let her know what's going on and allow her to make the decision of she wants him back with this going on or if she wants to wait.

I keep hoping that she'll want me to be his "retirement home".

7. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Clearly he's only pretending to be sick so he can stay with you a little longer. XD

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

How can you make a thread like this and not post a picture :;smack

Personally I would see if you can persuade your mum to let you keep him but let her think its her idea ;).

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

:oops::anim_63:

Here are the pics. The first is him. I caught him mid swim. He LOVES hanging around the heater. It's really close to his second favorite spot, the cave.

The second picture is the bowl he came here in. I promised my mother I wouldn't kill her plant.

The third picture is the house we set up for him when he came here and if/when he goes back to my parents, that is the house he will be living in over there.

Diggly-I'm hoping it gets REALLY COLD here soon. That would be another excuse not to move him.

My mother said that she trusts my judgement and since I've taken such good care of him, we can move him when I think he's ready. When she and I are discussing this, she knows I also consider what she knows to do and what she doesn't know what to do, although I think in the future, she'll be talking to me before medicating or talking to the LFS when problems occur.

Attached Files:

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

UPDATE: It's official! We've decided to make my house his permanent retirement home. Woohoo! I'm VERY excited and my mother was NOT hard to convince. With his issues, she'd rather have him here with me than bouncing from house to house when things come up.

He keeps getting into these "I don't wanna eat" spells and his tank has lost it's cycle-that's okay, I have extra 10g filters on other tanks for this very purpose.

11. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Woot Congrats on the new addition. Obviously you're already taking good care of him. :p

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

congratulations! Im so glad you got to keep him :)

13. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Cool, glad he's all yours now! :)

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, everyone! :;group