On attempt number 2 of trying to breed a pair of my bettas

MomOfLiveBearers

Ok. I am on attempt number 2 of trying to breed a pair of my bettas. I have them in the breeder tank. Both eat high protein foods regularly. I put male in first and gave him the tank for 24 hrs to claim territory. I now have female floating in a clear container. The both seem very interested in each other at first. They flare and wiggle dance. She has an ovipositor and breeding stripes and is appears very willing. He doesn't bubble nest. I've got still water, floating plants, but no nest. Should I keep her cupped for a few days and hope he makes one? I don't understand why he appears interested and then won't make a nest.

mattgirl

Has he ever built a nest? Most mature males will do so even if there's no female around hoping to attract one. If this little guy doesn't then is it possible he is just too young?

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

ive had a betta(step mom killed him accidentally) and build bubble nest is ALL he would do. I had to take some out ever other day so i could feed him! I agree with him maybe he's too young. he dosent look too young, but he could just be developing oddly.

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Has he ever built a nest? Most mature males will do so even if there's no female around hoping to attract one. If this little guy doesn't then is it possible he is just too young?
No he has never built one. He is now stress striping. Maybe he just doesn't like her? Idk.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Ive never actually seen stress stripes(might of but didnt relise it) If you could send a photo that would help me

Upvote 0

mattgirl

No he has never built one. He is now stress striping. Maybe he just doesn't like her? Idk.
It sounds like he is kinda slow at maturing. If he seems to be getting stressed out maybe you should remove her or at least block their line of sight. Give him some time to settle back down and see if he will start a bubble nest. I am not sure whether or not they will ever breed or successfully produce fry if he doesn't know what to do.

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

It sounds like he is kinda slow at maturing. If he seems to be getting stressed out maybe you should remove her or at least block their line of sight. Give him some time to settle back down and see if he will start a bubble nest. I am not sure whether or not they will ever breed or successfully produce fry if he doesn't know what to do.
Thank you
Ive never actually seen stress stripes(might of but didnt relise it) If you could send a photo that would help me
They are the stripes that run vertically along a beta's body. I'm really trying to leave him alone so I don't want to go and put a camera up next to him right now. But if you Google beta stress stripes it'll come up right away.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hopefully by spending time with/seeing her will jump start his instincts and he will finally build his first bubble nest.

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Hopefully by spending time with/seeing her will jump start his instincts and he will finally build his first bubble nest.
I'm hoping. I got him to settle back in and re introduced her so we will see.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Some domesticated betta aren't really suited for breeding and don't understand what to do and/or don't want to breed. You may just have to try a different more mature male with her. Want to try Mick? He builds nests like it's his day job. :p

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishyfishy12
  • Question
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views