On a quarantine tank

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I thought I would pipe up on this. If you have a fish that is going to be held for an extended time in a tank that is other wise empty of other fish, you may want to consider what I was taught. The tank by its nature has no fish in it, so it is not established. So what I do is take the water from the gravel vacuuming and put it in the tank, I will also put plants that were in an established tank (java ferns) in the holding tank. It has an under gravel and a bio wheel filter. This way the fish in question will not have to contend with the stresses in a tank that is not fully cycled.

Just my 2 cents worth.

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I like the idea of using some old water, but fresh water is always good for fish, so I'd probably mix a bit of both.

Too, many members keep a sponge, or other media in their established system, ready to just drop into a QT or hospital tank if the need arises ;)

Thanks for the ideas :D

3. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I was not clear, yes it would be a mix :D

Just something to think about :D

4. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Personally I will not use tank water to set up a new QT. Water does not hold any beneficial bacteria and will often transfer disease. The last disease I had to contend with was a nasty flesh eating one. Lost every fish affected too! And never did identify the pathogen causing it. I even wore plastic gloves to protect myself. Very nasty disease!!

As I have multiple tanks running it is quite easy to borrow media from an established tank. Right now, for example, I have 3 sponge filters, several sponge inserts, a hatching jar which is nothing more than a giant sponge filter, and several canisters with biobeads and extra sponges as well.

Then, depending on why I needed the QT, I may run the tank empty for several weeks; or will soak the media in heavy bleach solution to kill any pathogens.

5. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

It is the vacuumed substrate water that is rich in the bacteria that I use.

I keep the tank fully cycled and running at all times. But that is not to say that this is the best, or only way, just something to add to the mix as it were:D

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I too, never put any tank water in a quarantine tank - always new water. Granted, all of my quarantine tanks are constantly running, but I never mix water from tank to tank. Period. I don't follow many fish keeping precautions, but that one I am unwavering on.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Thunder,

Thanks for the input. If it works for you, then I would continue to do as you have been doing as long as you are getting readings of 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad) and you feel you have no diseased fish. We all have our methods of madness, some may agree, some may not.

However, the only time I have ever transferred detritus from one tank to another was when I upgraded from a 155g bow front to my current 265g tank with a few additional fish added to the stock I already had. I transferred everything including all of the water (and detritus) ornaments, filters. Then I filled the tank with fresh, preheated, treated, filtered water. I was concerned about cycling issues and keeping my water parameters where they needed to be. This all worked well for my tank and fish and I had no cycling issues at all. :) I couldn't set it up to have all new fresh water since I have to deal with silt my well.

I have started a tank or two with water from my 265g and seeded filter media. Simply siphoned tank water, no detritus. I have well water with a pH level off the charts so this worked well for me and the fish. I've had better luck using aged water at times compared to using fresh. Keep in mind, this may be my well water issues and what works for me may not work for you so to speak.

Long story short, I can the reasons for your methods along with other methods above by other members.

If one idea doesn't work, try another. Sometimes it's trial and error in this hobby.

Ken

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

And so I stand as an un-informed aquarist! :(

9. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

I don't think there is no easy way to do this without the threat of transferring disease ( which is usually what you are trying to cure) i never transfer water from one tank to another. instead, like mentioned above, i always havw extra filters running in my other tanks. ( several extra in different tanks) there is still a good possibility to tranfer disease this way and is why i keep several extra filters. I then use a filter from a tank i know has had no recent issues to try to avoid infection from another tank.

10. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Why the sad face? I value your input. I am beginning to wonder if I have just been lucky doing what I have been doing and not getting into health trouble with my fish.

The weight of the experienced voices here suggests that I should change the way I do things, and move to the sponge and such. I am completely fine in changing the way I do things if it is better for the fishies. For me that is the whole point of joining a community like this, in the end it is the fishies that matter most.

If I have been out of line and am the cause for the sad face I am regretful. You certainly are not an un-informed aquarist by any means.

11. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you everyone. You have all given me much to ponder. There are many times that things one has done for many years thinking it was best is proven not to be. This seems to be one of those occasions. I thank you for giving me this information, and the opportunity to change for the benefit of my finny friends.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The bottom line is results. The longer your practices work, the less luck plays a roll. I do think there are a lot of lucky fish keepers out there, particularly the ones that don't quarantine at all. Many of them just haven't been in the hobby long enough to have a serious problem change their ways. I am a firm believer in routines, and if yours works then stick with it.

Like I said, quarantine procedures are about the only thing that I seriously follow, because that's what is most important to me. There are a lot of things that other people take seriously that I couldn't care less about, because in my experience its inconsequential. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong, unless someone is pushing the one true way to do something. There are always other ways.

I share my unconventional ways not to get others to do what I do, but rather to get them to think and to challenge preconceived notions. Trial and error is still the best way to really learn about something. In order to learn limitations, you have to be willing to toe the line, and sometimes cross it. Many are unwilling to do that, and that's okay. But they shouldn't be surprised when someone comes along and says "you don't have to stand way over there".

Fish keeping is a hobby that we all enjoy in our own way. THAT'S what's important.

13. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

In the past i have never quarantined fish and i havent had any problems but now i do just incase luck isnt on my side.
    I use fresh water because it seems to make my snails happier.