OMG WE ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG funny story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I have a good story from that Fish Place, now normally most the people I have talked to in there seem to know their stuff, and in the fish department you can tell that a good number of them actually care about fish and are fish keepers themselves.
Well this is not my source for discus (they do have them) I go to a local guy who just deals in discus but he does not sell supplies, hence the reason for my That Fish Place visits (that and my kids love that place) I buy all my extras from there.
Now I am not trying to offend anyone here and I am only mentioning that this sales clerk within the fish department was young maybe around 17 years of age I only say that so you can get an idea of his in experience that’s all not to age discrimate or anything like that. I thought his youth may have had something to do with this story otherwise age would be irrelevant.
So ok here it goes I went in to the fish room as they call it and I got to talking to some of the other care takers about discus fish and now mind you most are on the same page with me and what I am doing and how I am doing it and in fact what my months of research has taught me. So I get to talking about my setup and how I intend to proceed with a max of 5 to 6 discus for my 55 gallon tank and maybe a few rummy nose tetras as tank mates for both water indicators as they have been know for as well as to act as dither fish for my discus, among other things like plants and substrate I am going to use and so forth. Now mind you all sounded good to the two I was talking to and even most of what you all here at Fish Lore has taught me.
So this young guy first comes up to me and cuts off his co workers (rude) asks me how big of a tank I say 55 gallon he tells me that’s way too small for discus that one or two max in a tank that size at this point I am ???? He tells me that they are very territorial fish he insists and backs it up with they are cichlids and I agree yes but they like the company of their own kind and feel much more secure in a group and in fact this is how they live in the wild. He says no no no you cannot put more than one or two in a 55 gallon that they are territorial that get very large 14-15 inches in diameter and need about 20 gallons for each I should be keeping them in no less than a 90 gallon if I intended to keep two of them. Well his co-workers tried to correct him to no avail. Then he asked about the tank mates I intended on and he said Rummy nose tetras he said why and I gave him the reasons he said no way they are a very shy fish and would not do well with discus that they would eat them and the rummy nose would be terrified. At this point I am thinking does this guy think we are talking about Oscars or something?
Well before I go to angry with him he co –workers tried to correct him, I told him to check out the Fish Lore that I have been getting advice from experts fish keepers breeders some with 10 -15- 20 even 30 plus years giving me advice and the fact that they have cleared my plan with some agree of personnel preference among responses but a general yes that would be fine that would work. He still would not listen to reason I had to walk away shaking my head. He did not even want to fathom the possibility that he could be wrong I say keep an open mind learn something that way and be open to your co workers ideas and other with more exp giving you ideas and advice but this kid was not having it.
He had only worked there for two months but claims he had been keeping fish for years and years he must have been like 10 when he started, lol.
Well I just thought I would share that little story with you, so basically we are all wrong the books are all wrong and we all need to either get like 500 gallon tanks or get rid of a lot of our fish, lol I hope this guy does not plan on keeping discus otherwise he may find himself on the Fish Lore asking what’s wrong with his Discus

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I just could not beleivev what I was hearing I even told him that I was getting advice from people that had years exp with this paticular fish not just fish in general but this type of fish specifically. I said these people have nothing to gain by telling me what they are telling me that their whole goal was to ensure people like me the ones just starting off get off to a good start and that it is truelly all about this fish with these folks! The act that I am getting advice from peopl with loads of exp just did not seem to matter to him I just hope if he ever decides to keep discus in the future he picks up a book and drop by the forum and does some reading hen do some more reading and whne you thought you can not possibly read about it any more guess what read some more, thats what I did and you know what else so far I have three healthy happy discus at home because of it!! I got sound advice followed through with it and that with my own good judgement the fact I am opend minded and the fact I am 33 years old with three girls and a wife of 12 years I know how to listen and whats best for me, lol

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There is just no option if I do not listen my wife umm well she lets me know about it and this is usually how she does that

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got sound advice followed through with it and that with my own good judgement the fact I am opend minded and the fact I am 33 years old with three girls and a wife of 12 years I know how to listen and whats best for me, lol
LOL!!

And wow, well....you can't win all the battles. I think the worst part is he might give this info to someone else who wouldn't know any better.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
everyone knows you need at least a 250 gallon tank for discus, they grow to at least 12 feet tall and grow metal fangs.

great story lol.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah no kidding and I was thinking of getting two of them, the above ground pool I mean aquarium goes in next week, not ure how to heat it thought, lol For real though it was just so frustrated with this guy he just would not listen to reason. i was trying to be as nice as possible when I told him that I was on this forum where some of the people had exp across the board. Everyone from 1 yr exp just getting into discus to breders and those of you who have 20 plus years not to mention most of what i am saying and reading comes from a book multiple books and loads of internet research and most of you have been dead on with the books and my research. In fact I have had only one discrepancy in regards to information one breeders web site I forget which one but its a big one if you Google buy discus fish on line or something like this huge web site lots of pics of their hatcher and all say one adult discus per 5 gallon of water every where else I have read the one per 10 gallons. But any way yeah this guy would not even listen to his co workers and I know for fact one of them did keep discus and had about 7 years exp and was close to my own age. I always see her in there shes married with kids and very cool headed my wife and I could both see she was even about to loose it. would not be suprised if I go in this week end which I will I always do he may not even be there after this. Thisnk about rude argumentitive with a customer giving false information and basically if people did not know better they would say man I better not buy any more of those expensive fish I already have two in my 55 gallon and bam he is loosing a sale a purchase of a expensive fish he needs trained or smething I honestly think this guy was getting confused with Oscar fish instead makes sense about those fish does it not?

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LOL!!

And wow, well....you can't win all the battles. I think the worst part is he might give this info to someone else who wouldn't know any better.
Yeah and like I said loose the company a sale on a very expensive fish, not only that if people listen to this then their discus will be very un happy and people will not understand why their fish is sulking in the corner all in all like a fighting married cuple where the child suffers in this case because of his we will say lack of knowledge in the end the fish suffers it ashame truely it is.

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hahahaha this sounds like my trips to Petco. Now I am no expert on fish, but I know way more than most kids working in the fish department at Petco. I asked if I could put a couple Koi in my 10g as a joke and she said "Oh ya that should be fine, we were taught 1 in. per gallon...and they shouldnt outgrow your tank, so i'd say maybe 2 or 3..." hahaha i pretended like I thought she was right and decided to go home. I laughed all the way out the door haha

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He probably won't last long there and then will wonder why But it takes all kinds to make a world I guess .
Carol

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yup I just had another great exp there last night but thats another long but funny story I will spare you, lets just say my wife and I had to write/email their corporate office about it.

I swear if it was not for their selection and prices on certain items I would stop going there and thats the problem a company gets so big they can actually afford to stop caring about their customers wich in this economy is both ashame and how do I say bold?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That sucks, it is so wrong how that happens, but as you said, they are a big company and can effectively "afford" to not care. It's horrible, and I'm glad you wrote to them, how else would they know haha!!

Good for you!

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep they responded and my wife and some lady from customer service are talking back and forth about it they wanted to know exactly who treated me like that so we gave a desription and they know who she is and she has had comp[lants about her in the past and shes a manager so I doubt I will see her there again if you know what I mean?
and I am not looking for any compensation I just want a good exp when I go in and nice knowledgable friendly people when we go maybe that asking for to much, lol!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes it's like asking for the meaning of life... But at least you're doing something about it and the rest of the staff (except that 17 y.o.) seem very nice, better than the ones I come across anyway!

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep thank you I am just to old and have to deal with things everyday last thing I need to deal with is some rude people especially where I intend on dropping a bunch of money you know, and we are the ones who keep them in business you think they would relize that? I am sure maybe some of the stake holders do but perhaps not the young ones they employee I htink the need to stress this a little more on their employees and that this type of treatment will ot be tolerated.

Side not I use to be a watter, dishwasher, busser and had to deal with all kinds of people, nice, mean, rude, respectfull and I treated them all with respect and I was always profesinal even at the age of 17 althought there were times I would go some where in my head usually and curse the ones who I felt were mean to me but that was in my head I was raised better than that you respecty you elders and you give peole respect until they prove other wise. Sorry for the rants but thats just me venting, lol:

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
love funny stories im good at them as well i applied for a job at a pet shore that say they in each aria of there store they have a trained psn to give advice. i was given a test to see how much i no about aquariums and fish because that was the aria i wished to work at im shore i aced the test u no the questions what is this fish called how do u fix fin rot what goes well with angelfish yea so it was peace of..... lol so when i go in a week later see how i went to see that they hired some 20 year old i asked how i did in my test he said very well i asked y i was not chosen u no curiosity and he said the bloke they hired new more about aquariums and fish he was just a better choice for the job. i thort ok fair enough i go and ask this new fell named josh same name cool hey lol how do i breed siamese fighting fish funny he replied the more you pout in the tank the more chance u will have of finding a breeding pair so i said if i bout like 5 males and 5 females u think that would work if i have them in a 50L tank he said yea sound great its what i would do well i giggled and went and got the manager and now with me josh and the manager i ask what would be a good to go with my oscars when he replied nion teras i looked at the manager to see the shok on his face not another word needs to be said. its amazing what some shops will hire i still do not no why i want hired im 16 and no more then most people working there. sorry for bad spelling grammer

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
everyone knows you need at least a 250 gallon tank for discus, they grow to at least 12 feet tall and grow metal fangs.

great story lol.
well that bursts my bubble- mommy said no fish with fangs of ANY kind... so metal fangs are out

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It is actually a Cobalt it is SLUGS another members I have one like it a juvi bt looks like this one I am just having a hard time getting good pictures rite now Slug has a album you can view online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom