OMG! Text and smiley's have ruined my writing!

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love to write but with school and everything the last couple of years I've mostly put it aside. Well I sat down today to try and write out a new story and I was in for a surprise.

The sentence I wanted to write was:
"Hey Tiffany," she said with a smile.
The sentence I wrote:
"Hey Tiffany

I didn't even think of it I just threw it in and I was like. What the heck? So I deleted of offending smiley, and rewrote... the exact same thing!

I suspect that this is now going to be a real pain in the butt from now on. I hadn't noticed myself doing this too much in my writing but the story I'm aiming at is a bit different then what I usually write and apparently I have some new bad habits to beat out as well lol.

Oh boy.

Sorry just kinda felt like ranting about this for a second lol.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha, that's hilarious. I can definitely think of worse things that the texting generation can do though.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I text like an old person - I type out entire words. But I do use smileys - I think they are cute.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lol, Wait until sds sees this.
Sees what?

I love to write but with school and everything the last couple of years I've mostly put it aside. Well I sat down today to try and write out a new story and I was in for a surprise.

The sentence I wanted to write was:
"Hey Tiffany," she said with a smile.
The sentence I wrote:
"Hey Tiffany

I didn't even think of it I just threw it in and I was like. What the heck? So I deleted of offending smiley, and rewrote... the exact same thing!

I suspect that this is now going to be a real pain in the butt from now on. I hadn't noticed myself doing this too much in my writing but the story I'm aiming at is a bit different then what I usually write and apparently I have some new bad habits to beat out as well lol.

Oh boy.

Sorry just kinda felt like ranting about this for a second lol.
Oh my goodness!! It's a travesty of writing! I cannot get the image out of my brain! Where's the lye? WHERE'S THE LYE?!?!

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I text like an old person - I type out entire words. But I do use smileys - I think they are cute.
Don't worry about it I'm 24 and everyone I know uses whole words or close to it via text. I don't understand teen text speak at all.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sees what?

Oh my goodness!! It's a travesty of writing! I cannot get the image out of my brain! Where's the lye? WHERE'S THE LYE?!?!
Oh come now it was an honest accident!

Sorry to scar you Sir lol. I suspect that lye won't be strong enough you may need to see a therapist in the future
Here's a picture to applogize
698.jpg

EDIT: Runnurz up wuz...

Last edited:

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok I come to confess my sins again <hangs head in shame>

What I meant to say:
She laughed, this was an old game.
What I typed:
She lol'd...

Should I start running from the writing police?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will say that text/online-speak is awesome for taking notes in class and shorthand generally. Can't say my notes translate to anything that someone who went to secretarial school in the 1950s would write, but it works!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
teehee

Do you dot your I's with little hearts? :whistling:

Sir will love that! lol

Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
when i sign my jeri name i use a heart over the i. lol. but it's mostly for a joke.

i don't txt fast enough to spell all the words out...it get's annoying, so i chop words dwn. haha. it's faster to type tmrw=tomorrow or ysrday=yesterday. wld-would, the list goes on. i have found myself writing shortened words a few times. luckily i'm finished with school, or i could see myself running into the same issues!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I come to confess my sins again <hangs head in shame>

What I meant to say:
She laughed, this was an old game.
What I typed:
She lol'd...

Should I start running from the writing police?
There's no point. They're already at the door. Just give up quietly.

teehee

Do you dot your I's with little hearts? :whistling:

Sir will love that! lol

Ken
I'm okay with that. It's legible, at least.

Supposedly there was an entire book written in leetspeak. This isn't all that different, as textspeak is the child of leetspeak.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Leetspeak is the dialect used by computer folks starting before the internet really became huge and BBSs were all the rage. It wasn't as much about shortening words (though the leet is where things like "lol" came from") as it was about making something nearly unreadable to the non-leet (leet being short for "elite").

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's really interesting. What I take away from that is that textspeak has its roots in elitism, and that its goal is to be indecipherable, which it certainly is.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LOL, what a thread again. Meenu, I too type out full words. If I put them shorter (apart from lol, wld and 2moro), it just doesn't look right. As a consequence, I can send 2 messages what my little brother could easily get in 1.

Red, I'm sure there's a support group about for this! If there's not, would you like us to start one for you?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom