OMG tank number 5?? what do i do with it?

1. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

so my dad went to visit some old friends up in Canada to watch football last week, and these friends had a small aquarium (10, 15 gallons? i dont remember) that was slowly wasting away :(

its been years since i've seen them, and apparently they've torn the tank down and stowed it away. they're willing to give me the tank and all the bells and whistles for NO COST!!! my parents approve just as long as the tank is located in my bedroom ;D

as soon as i'm done throwing out the bed, i'll have the tank here pretty soon :p

so, what should this tank be? and it's decided, no salties untill i move out...

all the fish in my "Aquarium Info" is current, and i would like to keep something different... any suggestions?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, lucky you, a free tank!
    My favorite fish of the week are Sparkling Gouramis. (also immune to DW Disease) They're very small and don't look at all like Dwarfs.
    They make the cutiest clicking sound and have blue eyes.
    Or how about 4 ADF's?

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

i have to second the S. G's :) they look like fun and if i could have them i totally would :)

maybe you could try shell dwellers too ;) i think its time you get into cichlids ;D

4. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

sparklers are nice... but how audible are the clicking noises? will they keep me up at night? otherwise, their one of my top choices.

5. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

and tony, brevis shelldwellers?

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

idk.. LOL Carol has some :)

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

8. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

oh my gosh thats amazing :D

how many at the least? do they need a group?

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's pretty cool, isn't it? They don't do that constantly, so it's not a nuisance.
    I have 3. They were very peaceful until 2 spawned. Then they got territorial, as most fish will. I moved the 3rd one out for now. He's doing fine by himself with just a guppy and baby cory as a tanks mates.
    They only get about 1.5" so you could go with 5 and maybe add a few pygmy cories.

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I TOTALLY agree with Lucy and Sparkling Gouramis. I have them and I LOVE them! However, I haven't been blessed enough to hear mine clicking yet. I've only had them a week.

11. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

hmmm... so, now that you've got me thinkning about these sparklers, i think i've devised a stocking plan. how does this sound?

3 sparkling gouramis (until a pair forms, then the third will be moved to my 5 gallon)
    5 Neon Tetras 9or some kind of small schooling fish)
    4-5 pygmy cories (pygmaeus or hastatus)

then again, tony brought up cichlids, that may throw a wrench into everything, but I'll keep this stock in mind if i decide to stick with it...

where's carol when you need her? ;p

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Unfortunatly Carol's computer bit the dust. :(
    Your stock plan, is that the Neon and Sparklers?
    They can be kind of timid and the neons might be too much for them in a 10g when it comes to feeding time.

13. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Congrats! A free tank! So envious! ;D So 5 tanks in your room? That's like a home aquaria :;scuba

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you're interested in shrimp at all, IME they make great tank mates for sparklers. Some cherry shrimp would be nice and won't stress the sparklers at all.

15. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

aww shucks... oh well, when my next free tank rolls along :rolleyes: cichlids will be my priority

Thanks. Yuppers, that makes five. I hope this doesn't become too much of a hassle to upkeep. Four is pushing it, but I can manage. :) Home Aquaria? No kidding! I should start charging people admission to come see the wonderful world of fish :;f :;fr

would bamboo shrimps work? I didn't see cherries the last time i went to my lfs, but i'll double check to be sure. And they do need a diet of their own right? like the hikari shrimp diet?

So atm, the stock is:

3 Sparklers
    x small schooling fish
    4 pygmy cories
    6 bamboo cherry shrimp
    :;dk

what do you think?

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure if keeping a bamboo shrimp in a 10 gallon would work. They are filter feeders and might starve IMO. If you try it, make sure to add it when the tank is mature, and don't add more than one.

17. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

woah, i must've been looking at the wrong shrimp then! :eek: i looked it up just to be sure and that thing is huge!

so scratch that idea, i thought they were smaller...

so i still have 3 sparklers, 4 pygmy cories, and some schooling fish. any suggestions?

would adding the sparklers first help aid in their confidence? or would i risk my schoolers with territoriality?

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like a good plan! I am just like you only with 3 tanks and working on my 4th :giggle:

19. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

listen to the radio with your most confident parent, and make a bet only you can win :p that's how i got the fourth :giggle:

as for this one, its free. so the sixth one... :rolleyes:

okay, so (3) sparklers, (4) Corydoras pygmaeus, and (5-6) glo-light tetras OR neon tetras. I understand the sparkler like floating plants. I want to use some duckweed (yes i know the risk of excessive coverage), but what other kind of plants (preferably hardy) can i use?

20. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL it wont work on them ;D My school is doing a gift exchange tomorrow and i found out who is gonna give me the present, so i asked him to give me money instead, that way i could get something i wanted which would be another 10g ;D

LOL
    you could try java moss for the floating plant :;dk pretty hardy... or so i've been told LOL