OMG!!!! so stoked found L144A plecos

SanDiegoRedneck

I had been looking for L144a longfin lemon blue eye bristlenose pleco. To mate with my 1 juvenile.

I didnt want to fork out $$$ on Ebay or other sites at 80 for 3 fish.

But just kept searching online each night. Messaged a few people on CL in other states. Noone would ship.

Then tonight. Boom new post pops up I got 3 for $30 15min down road.

20200813_203606.jpg

20200813_203555.jpg

20200813_203614.jpg

JB92668

very cool great find are u going to try and breed them cheers john

Mhamilton0911

What?? I hate you. You and your deals again.
But really, I'm living all my tank dreams through you :)

(Edited to add, I don't actually hate you, you're a pretty cool dude)

SanDiegoRedneck

johnbetta said:
very cool great find are u going to try and breed them cheers john
Yes I plan to try to breed. Here is the juvenile I have now.
I'll be very happy with one good pair from the 4.

20200811_194128.jpg

JB92668

very cool i breed albino short fin bristle nose

SanDiegoRedneck

johnbetta said:
I have what about 5 or 7 months to learn how to do it? Lol. I plan on doing in 20gal long with just 2 pleco and shrimp and test.

SanDiegoRedneck

johnbetta said:
Hi, you stated you breed BN plecos and this will be my first go at it. (I know more about shrimp)
New fry in 10 gal quarantine now.

I plan to do in a 20gallon long with just the 2 adult plecos and cherry shrimp. (just to see if both can breed together) Do you think this is good size tank?

Also any tips would be appreciated. I've watched videos and understand the basics. But that's it.

Thanks in advance

SanDiegoRedneck

Mhamilton0911 said:
What?? I hate you. You and your deals again.
But really, I'm living all my tank dreams through you :)

(Edited to add, I don't actually hate you, you're a pretty cool dude)
I don't know if I would consider this one a great deal more as a great find. $10 each Is ok . But was the ease of getting them with no shipping that made this a nice find.

FishBoy101

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Hi, you stated you breed BN plecos and this will be my first go at it. (I know more about shrimp)

I plan to do in a 20gallon long with just the 2 adult plecos and cherry shrimp. (just to see if both can breed together) Do you think this is good size tank?

Also any tips would be appreciated. I've watched videos and understand the basics. But that's it.

Thanks in advance
It would be fine, though a 40 breeder would be better for a BN breeding colony or something called that. Basics are better then over thinking. These are the only steps you need to know. Male trap female in area. Female lay egg. Male fertilize (if male to young, won't have as much fertilized eggs. To young females will lay less eggs) and the male stays in the "cave" for 9-13 days, he won't come out at all. The female will hang around the cave. Then the fry will come out when they have eaten all of their eggs sacs. After that, the babies will slowly grow. Prepare for a high bio-load!! I would do 75 percent every week or 40 percent 2 times a week.

Items needed for the tank

A "cave"
All the normal stuff (filter(sponge is better), heater, and the rest of the stuff)
Algae wafers(they also like to eat flakes(just)put some in tank and then just push them down with a spoon or something)

Good Luck!!

P.S
Are you breeding for profit or for fun?

angelcraze

SanDiegoRedneck said:

Thanks in advance
I breed the reg and albino short fin BNs. Or should I say, they breed in my tanks. I don't do much to get them to breed, but they do all have a nice cave with one opening.

My friend couldn't get his red BNs to breed in his 40g breeder with shrimp but he never fed them! Let them eat the algae cuz every time he fed the tank the shrimp would get sick he said. But I think it was muscular necrosis. Anyway, definitely feed them good nutrition (I feel algae (or sea veggies) is the most nutritious for my plecos even more than land veggies, so I feed mine (and babies) a couple different algae wafer brands like Omega One and NorthFin. And lots of regular water changes to keep things fresh ;)

Also to answer your questions, my plecos breed in a 20g, but lots of water changes to keep nitrates down. After you condition them health wise, try a slightly cooler water change when you want to induce a spawn.

SanDiegoRedneck

FishBoy101 said:
It would be fine, though a 40 breeder would be better for a BN breeding colony or something called that. Basics are better then over thinking. These are the only steps you need to know. Male trap female in area. Female lay egg. Male fertilize (if male to young, won't have as much fertilized eggs. To young females will lay less eggs) and the male stays in the "cave" for 9-13 days, he won't come out at all. The female will hang around the cave. Then the fry will come out when they have eaten all of their eggs sacs. After that, the babies will slowly grow. Prepare for a high bio-load!! I would do 75 percent every week or 40 percent 2 times a week.

Items needed for the tank

A "cave"
All the normal stuff (filter(sponge is better), heater, and the rest of the stuff)
Algae wafers(they also like to eat flakes(just)put some in tank and then just push them down with a spoon or something)

Good Luck!!

P.S
Are you breeding for profit or for fun?
Thanks for reminder to keep to basics and not reinvent wheel.

Breeding to maybe pay for my hobbie. But fun first and enjoying how life is created with my twin 9yr olds.

SanDiegoRedneck

angelcraze said:
I breed the reg and albino short fin BNs. Or should I say, they breed in my tanks. I don't do much to get them to breed, but they do all have a nice cave with one opening.

My friend couldn't get his red BNs to breed in his 40g breeder with shrimp but he never fed them! Let them eat the algae cuz every time he fed the tank the shrimp would get sick he said. But I think it was muscular necrosis. Anyway, definitely feed them good nutrition (I feel algae (or sea veggies) is the most nutritious for my plecos even more than land veggies, so I feed mine (and babies) a couple different algae wafer brands like Omega One and NorthFin. And lots of regular water changes to keep things fresh ;)
Thanks. As you saw in picture above my current juvenile shares wafers and vegetables w shrimp. Again this is test and we will see

Pfrozen

Wow, those are beautiful plecos!!

angelcraze

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Thanks. As you saw in picture above my current juvenile shares wafers and vegetables w shrimp. Again this is test and we will see
Are you planning to have substrate in the breeding tank?

SanDiegoRedneck

angelcraze said:
I was just thinking I will change from bare bottom. I have bare bottom w plants in tubs and on driftwood. But I also like this set up.

SanDiegoRedneck

angelcraze said:
Here is how it looks now

20200814_094525.jpg

angelcraze

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Here is how it looks now

20200814_094525.jpg
Cool, do you have a cave yet? Not a huge emergency but you'll want a cave with one opening so the male can trap the female when they are ready to breed.

Floating plants for a bit of shade? IALs are great as they darken the water too. Nice setup ;)

My pleco tank has bolbitis and driftwood, it's very shaded for the plecos. Oh! You'll probably want some driftwood!

SanDiegoRedneck

angelcraze said:
Cool, do you have a cave yet? Not a huge emergency but you'll want a cave with one opening so the male can trap the female when they are ready to breed.

Floating plants for a bit of shade? IALs are great as they darken the water too. Nice setup ;)

My pleco tank has bolbitis and driftwood, it's very shaded for the plecos. Oh! You'll probably want some driftwood!
So much java moss. Look close there is a coconut hut in middle. Lol but I'll get another tube one

angelcraze

SanDiegoRedneck said:
So much java moss. Look close there is a coconut hut in middle. Lol but I'll get another tube one
Oh I didn't see it lol. My plecos use a coconut cave in one of the tanks, but they also use a driftwood cranny. If you have trouble, swap in a larger cave, but it may be all they need!

SanDiegoRedneck

angelcraze said:

Yes couldn't see with glare but covered w dwarf water lettuce.
Yes I need driftwood for sure. Been shopping around recently. I need driftwood for all my shrimp tanks also

20200814_121505.jpg

angelcraze

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Yes couldn't see with glare but covered w dwarf water lettuce.
Yes I need driftwood for sure. Been shopping around recently. I need driftwood for all my shrimp tanks also

20200814_121505.jpg
Oh lol looks like your setup is perfect then! Good luck :)

JB92668

its a good size tank for the plecos and the shrimp together they will breed

Fishcat

Your fish/shrimp empire increaseth. I love your approach to this hobby.

Top Bottom