Omg Prime Is The Bees Knees!

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Lauradesu, May 26, 2018.

1. Lauradesu

LauradesuValued MemberMember

So I went to my lfs and I had got some money and I was going to go crazy at the lfs with 200$ because I got a bonus at work and have no outstanding Bill's or anything for my wedding that I have to pay right now. Soooooooo

I went crazy at a fish store (I'm bipolar if you know what being manic is then you can see what I mean by crazy at a fish store)

So here I am with my fiance throwing bottle after bottle after bottle of stuff we need for our tanks literally going insane and then I found where they kept the prime! Since you guys always go on about it I was like I'm going to buy the biggest jug they have (79$) and it's literally like a jug. This stuff is AMAZING ......smells bad...... BUT AMAZING its way better than anything I used before my tests for ammonia and everything came back absolutely zero!!! .......also I went a little further manic and bought a really good brand of liquid food/fertilizer for my plants in my aquariums (it was 32$ WORTH IT) THEN I kinda went a little bit more crazy and bought a big ryukin which takes up the last bit of space in my 50 gallon but hes cute his name is souji

But yeah how did I survive with out prime all this time!?

2. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuyValued MemberMember

I'm still not sure why you like it so much? I use it too ,getting back into the hobby after 10 years. Can't remember what i used before.
    What changed when you started using it vs what you had before? from what i read prime doesn't remove ammonia/nitrite etc but makes them less toxic for 48hr.
    Testing still shows these after using prime.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

It dropped my ammonia really fast and today when I tested and the ammonium dropped some how top. Though, I still dont have nitrates or nitrites in my 5p gallon still and its been almost a week since they have been there but the plants are healthy and so are the fish so my cycle didnt crash I know this much

4. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Prime doesnt do that. It just binds nitrogen compounds and some heavy metals. It wont actually remove them. If you are using the api test kit it wont really show any difference. If you have an actual free ammonia test kit, it will show lower levels up to 48 hours. It wont make the bound ammonia decrease though. (Ammonium.)

Sounds more likely your cycle is starting to nudge. Did you beat up the nitrate bottle #2 violently? It's possible you arent getting accurate test results.

5. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

First the nitrates dropped then the nitrites the next day doesn't matter what test I use there is nothing there. And I've tried everything to get it back up but I was told by some one on here that it's not a problem that I dont have nitrates or nitrites at all. The ammonia is 0 has been 0 and the only thing I have is a little ammonium and that's dropping too.

Also I have plants in the tank and they are growing like mad with very little help

6. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Ah, the plants are keeping your nitrates down. I didnt see that before, sorry.

Also, ammonium is readily removed via beneficial bacteria and most plants prefer not to use it. Its harmless so I wouldn't worry about it. You have a low ph I take it, since you keep referring to ammonium.

7. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Nope just three dirty ryukin goldfish that caused a lot of ammonia that I used chemicals that turned it into ammonium and now I cant seem to get rid of it. My ph sits at 7.4 constantly so not low either. Api ammo lock works but it turns ammonia into ammonium that's hard to get rid of

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice