OMG Please Help Me

fugi14

Reaction score
:'( I am so scared. My female betta was just fine a week ago but she has steadily been getting worse over the last couple of days. I tried to get a picture but the picture just wasn't clear enough to be of any use. Her gills are all reddish (they are red just from coloration but they are worse now) and they seem to be oozing white stuff. She has black dots all over her fins and her scales. I don't know what's wrong. I have tried several treatments but she hasn't responded. Please help me, what should I do?

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have any water parameters tested? How's the temp of the tank? And hang in there, help's on the way soon.

Mike

fugi14

Reaction score
The temp is 78 degrees F and everything is normal except the ammonia is al ittle bit high but a water change will fix that.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Slowly raise the tank temp to about 80 degrees over the next few hours.  I suspect the recommendation to follow will suggest the temp will eventually need to be raised to 83.  But you don't want to shock the Betta by raising the temp too quickly. 

Do a 50% water change.  The replacement water should be slightly warmer than the water in the tank.  And don't forget dechlorinater in the replacement water.

How large is the tank?  Is it filtered?  Is it cycled?

Mike

fugi14

Reaction score
The tank is a 2.5 gallon hexagon and it is both filtered and cycled.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looking back on the threads, I see the sick Betta is Kit.  Is Kit isolated?  Eating?  Active or idle?  What treatments did you try?

As you raise the temp in the tank, you will want to have it aerated.  Do you have an airstone and air pump running?

From what you are saying, Kit may have a bacterial infection.  And, most here believe that Maracyn and Maracyn 2 are good antibioitics for such treatments.  Do you have either of these on hand?

Mike

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey fugi

I understand your fear very well love. I see that LZ has started to help you. He's very smart about Betta care. I'm not so I don't dare recommend anything. Rose is a moderator here and she will be here soon I'm sure.

You WILL get help here so don't panic (I know, hard to do). Listen to what LZ tells you and then Rose will help too if needed as soon as she gets here...in fact, so will many others here. This forum is loaded with incredible people that care so much Bettas. You're in the right place love.

fugi14

Reaction score
Alright I took an airstone out of my fry tank temporarily so that Kit's tank will be better circulated. Yes, she is isolated and eating normally. I have tried so far only CopperSafe. She is pretty idle for the time being. I did a 50% water change and she just sort of drifted there.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence, AesSedai; I can only share what I've learned here, though.

Fuji14, that Kit is not at her normal energy level is probably not making you very happy.  But, that Kit is eating is a good sign.

I'm getting the sense that Maracyn 2 would be the treatment of choice.  But I don't recommend it, yet.  In fact, there are others on the forum who are better educated at this than I; so, before adding more meds to the mix, we need some more opinions.

The first order of business is to get the tank temp up, and I'm going to suggest slowly getting it up to around 83 degrees.  I've been treating GB for some time now (first for velvet, then he got fin rot secondary to the velvet) and his tank temp has been at 84 for a few weeks now.  So, it's safe to get the temp up to 83 degrees.  Additionally, I've read here in several places that meds like CopperSafe and the Maracyns don't do their magic until the temp is at 83 to 85 degrees. 

I'd suggest, if Kit is still on the CopperSafe, that you replace any amount of CopperSafe lost due to the 50% water change.  It's not good to keep shifting med amounts around, it may cause Kit to get stressed and the CopperSafe may lose it's ability to help with this and future cures.  Then, until someone tells you to discontinue the CopperSafe, let's keep the tank dosed with it.  (The higher temp may also help the CopperSafe do some good.)  If Kit is not on the CopperSafe, let's not administer any more, yet.

I'd also suggest, if Kit is still on the CopperSafe and if you've not done so already, that you remove any charcoal (carbon) filters.  Those are used to eliminate meds, so you don't want them in your filter.  Hopefully your filter is not loaded with one, if it is, you may need to have some other media put in to take it's place.

Finally, I suggest you give Kit a little pea treat.  If that doesn't boost Kit's energy a little, the TLC that comes with the treat will help.  If you've not given your Bettas a pea treat, here's how I learned to do it:

Put a frozen pea in the m/w and cook it for 30 seconds.  Remove the outer skin and the pea will show itself in two halves.  Slice off three small pieces that in total are about half the size of Kit's eye.  (Kit's stomach is about the size of her eye.)  Feed her the treats.

Now, a little Q & A.  You mentioned Kit had black spots.  I didn't see black spots mentioned with any Betta disorder.  Could they be red spots?  Does Kit look to be gasping for air?  And, is she going to the surface for air?  Finally, in the event that it's called for, do you have Maracyn and Maracyn 2 on hand?

Mike

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my females, Karma, came to me VERY sick and dying with similar symtoms. The reddness of the gills sounds like Gill disease or possibly ammonia poisoning. The white stuff could be fungus or possibly some sort of parasite. Could you describe it? As for the black spots, are they raised or just colors on her fins and scales? Sometimes fish turn weird colors depending on their mood, health etc. Mine turn different colors several times a day sometimes. If it is parasites, the Coppersafe should help. I would run to the Petstore immediately ; tonight if possible as every hour counts when dealing with sick fish.  Get some Maracyn 2 and also get Maroxy, which is used to treat true fungus infections, (this is different from other fungus) which your fish may have. True fungus happens as a result of parasitic attacks. If your fish had some sort of parasites attacking her gills it caused infection and fungus. Maracyn 2, Maroxy and Coppersafe are safe to use altogether. With a 2 1/2 gallon tank you will have to measure out the right dose as best you can (1/4 dose) with the Maracyn 2 as it comes in packets of powder or tablets designed to treat a 10 gallon tank. Do a large water change before starting treatment and make sure all the ammonia is gone. Any trace of ammonia is very stressful for a sick fish.  Raise the water temp to 82 F   If you don't have a heater get one as well. You will need water temps of 82 degrees to get rid of parasites. You'll need a 25 watt heater and keep a close eye on the water temp to prevent over-heating in such a small tank until you are sure the setting is correct.
What kind of filter is in your tank? If this is the Top Fin hex tank I am thinking of it comes with an under gravel filter. If that's the kind you have you should get rid of it after you finish treatment. They just pull dirt down into the gravel instead of removing it and this could be why you have ammonia problems. A Whisper 3i filter is small, cheap and fits perfectly into that tank.
Don't give up on her yet. My little girl Karma was at death's door for the second time a few days ago and is swimming and playing normally today. The products I suggested are LIFESAVERS and should fix her up quickly. Please don't wait to start treatment. The sooner you start the better her chances are. Good luck and keep us updated on her. Karma and I will be praying for her.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like a parasite of some kind and then perhaps complicated with a bacterial infection.  Yes, the temperature needs to be at least in the 83-85 degree range and I am leaning toward a middle ground of 84 since if you need to raise it to 85 for a condition it will be fast and not take as long as if you are at a lower temperature.  

The Coppersafe is okay to continue using and as your tank is cycled (what type of filter are you using?  LZ is perfectly correct that the carbon has to come out or all the medications you are using are just being taken right out of the tank by the carbon in the filter)  I need you to run a series of tests for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.  If the results are within the desired limits; ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, and nitrates below 20; then it is safe to add Maracyn 2 and get the bacterial part of the infection (gills) under control.  If not then do a 50% water change and add the Coppersafe to replace that taken out in the water change and then add Maracyn 2.  If you have been running carbon in the filter, then pretend you have never added anything as the carbon will have taken it all out already and begin treatment with both Coppersafe and Maracyn2 as if you had never put any meds in the tank.

Please let us know how things are going.  I also agree that the Pea Diet for a couple of days would not hurt a thing.  If you have not done so before please consider reading the post below and find out if there are other areas of the bettas life that need to be changed somehow.  If there are questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  

We want to welcome you and Kit to the forum and to the Betta Board.  We are represented by a lot of age groups, interests, and nations.  You are welcome to browse, question and comment to your hearts content and we will do our best to help you and Kit.

Rose

fugi14

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the info. I feel so much better knowing there is someting I can do. I don't have any Maracyn at the moment, but there is a pet store jsut a few blocks away that I am positive has it in stock. The peas sound good I'll give it a try. The white stuff is just kind of flaky stuff that is on her gills. It's kind of hard to describe. I wish I had a better photo. The black spots are sort of bluish even. You can't see them well on the picture, but they are mostly on her back and top fins.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Phloxface and Chickadee are well-seasoned pros at this stuff, fugi14.  If Kit has a chance, you've got the right folks to help you.   Good luck and get well soon Kit!

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You did just fine Mike. It looks like we are getting another person who is thoroughly capable of helping others....YAY.

I am just so pleased that we all work together to help each other here. It is one reason I came to this forum and left most of the others.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore. The people here are experts at helping Bettas. When I first came here my betta was dying, but with their help he pulled through and is very happily swiming around in his ten gallon tank with 3 cory catfish for company. You are in the right place.

Now Kit, you need to get well, so do what all the experts say. ;D

CherryRose

fugi14

Reaction score
I am going to follow all the suggestions and do absolutely everything I can do. I'll keep you all posted on Kit's condition.

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
fugi, I thought I'd share your pic of Kit here for everyone to see how very lovely she is. How are the fry doing??

fugi14

Reaction score
The fry are doing wonderfully. They are still too small to take a picture of, but they are getting bigger everyday. I am also very happy to report that Kit loved the peas!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
See, she is doing okay...any fish that loves peas without a lot of coaxing is doing a good job of keeping their head on straight.

Rose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good to see that Kit's eating peas.  I'm curious as to how she's looking and behaving.

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom