Omg it finally happened!!!!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by monkeypie102, Dec 1, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Soooo.. last night after acclimating Maverick to his new home I noticed Dozer out of the water... so i assumed Dozer wasn't the male I assumed he was...
    IMG_20121201_115149.jpg

I was wrong xD glad to be so!!!now... how do I care for them??? I don't want to lose this first clutch... the parents are either both blues or the dad is a peach mystery snail... I will find out soon :)
    IMG_20121130_235057.jpg

Here she is out of the water :) wooo hooo

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow thats a nice sized clutch!!! I have yet to have one that big!!!
    Well, you should start seeing some babies in about 12-18 days! :)
    Just keep the clutch moist by squirting some tank water on it at least twice a day. You could also raise up the water line a bit so that the water splashes on it.
    At least she laid them in an area thats easily accessible!!! Mine were always on weird places, behind the filter, etc
    Also be forewarned that the fish in the tank will find these things irresistible and when the babies drop in the water, may get eaten.
    I had many go that way and its the nature of things - a way to keep the population down. So if out of 100 babies you end up with 25, you're doing good.

Btw - you will start noticing black or dark specks as the eggs mature. If they are not viable ( which sometimes they are duds ) they won't develop and stay the same color...
    Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I sprayed it once before taking the picture :) I plan to raise the water some when I get home, I have been waiting for this to happen so I dropped the water levels... the only fish in the tank that will eat the babies are 4 black skirt tetra and they will be moving to my 29g in a day or two so the 26g will be just an invert tank with Mystery Snails, MTS, Ramshorns, Malaysian Rainbow shrimp and RCS I think the babies will be safe then :) and once they get bigger, expect some RAOK!

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

Awesome! I hope you get a good survival rate :)

5. Junne

Well it sounds like you have a good plan going! I think they will be safe!

What I did with one of my clutches ( only yielded 2 babies because the rest of the clutch didn't mature or something )
    These are from my early November clutch which was very small to begin with ( 1/8 of the size you have now )
    I took down the clutch around day 12 and floated it in a styrofoam cup INSIDE a net breeder. Then when the snails hatched, they were inside the breeder and safe from the fishes mouths!!! I left them in there a few weeks and just released them in the main tank.

6. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Soon... guess what else I found today :) lol I guess all my blues are girls, what's the chance I buy 4 female blues... and my peach MS are both males xD so yeah I have 2 clutches now and both are the same size...

7. Junne

How did you find out????

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

o_O I looked in the tank xD

Seriously though I watched a smaller blue slowly crawl back into the water... I looked where she was and sure enough another clutch... and as for the sexes... so far I have seen the peaches, I now think they are actually golds, doing the jig on each blue....

9. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Found a 3rd clutch xD i am going to be loaded with MS when/if they all hatch haha!

Had to float 1 of the clutches though due to it nearly falling in the tank when i did a cleaning... they are really hard eggs...

10. p

porkozone New Member Member

Very cool. Good luck!

11. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

And got a 4th clutch... not as big as the other but yeah lol...

Sadly clutch 2 molded over :( not sure why but yeah...

12. Junne

I'm sorry - If its in a very humid spot in your tank, thats when you may need to take it down - too much humidity is just as bad as none

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice