OMG Is There no End to What People Will Do?? -- Rent Betta's as Centerpieces?

voiceless_kat

Well Known
I admit that those of us who love bettas sometimes get worked up - but this is the epitome of cruelty as far as I am concerned! Too bad the internet gives people a chance to be entrepraneurs with these poor things. Check out this site:

Sometimes I hate people, ya know what I mean??? Val :'(

There is a guestbook (???) you can email a message to this company.....I did so, advising them it was indeed beautiful, but also cruel, and then just short and sweet advice on what a betta needs........they say they love their bettas. I encourage others to send the same message.

Advertisement
> > >

Sigh... I left a message for them telling them they should be ashamed of themselves and that what they are doing is animal abuse. I doubt they'll care since they are probably making tons of money off of self-absorbed brides who want "nice" centerpieces for their weddings.
If I ever went to a wedding that had Bettas as centerpieces I would take back my gift and walk out and DISOWN whoever it is even if it was a close relative! It's disgraceful!
I know what you mean about hating people! For the most part I care FAR more about animals than people with the exception of the good folks on this board who love little fishies so much!
I can no longer even eat fish, even tuna which I used to love. It would be like eating a dog or cat or human to me! I don't eat meat or fish at all. I love animals too much to do that.
I wonder if PETA or someone can do something about this company? Are there no laws at all to protect poor fish!

Advertisement
Re: OMG Is There no End to What People Will Do?? -- Rent Betta's as Centerpiec

the sad thing about that is that i'm not surprised.. abusing bettas for profit is pretty common and is just part of the "disposable life" society we have. :'( we're so good at treating each other and animals with death and abuse and the more helpless, quiet & defenseless the better.

"Our love of betta fish inspired the drive to create betta safe environments for the world to enjoy.

We expanded into rental centerpieces to provide the expertise needed when enjoying bettas as unique, beautiful table decor."

They claim to love Bettas and yet they describe them as no less than TABLE DECOR??!! What the heck is wrong with these people? They didn't even show a picture anywhere of what the Bettas were being kept in...which likely translates to tiny bowls. But yeah I'm not really surprised at all. Fish are the easiest animals to exploit for money since no one knows about their needs or cares for them like dogs and cats. And most businesspeople are smart enough to notice this fact.

"Our love of betta fish inspired the drive to create betta safe environments for the world to enjoy.

We expanded into rental centerpieces to provide the expertise needed when enjoying bettas as unique, beautiful table decor."

They claim to love Bettas and yet they describe them as no less than TABLE DECOR??!! What the heck is wrong with these people? They didn't even show a picture anywhere of what the Bettas were being kept in...which likely translates to tiny bowls. But yeah I'm not really surprised at all. Fish are the easiest animals to exploit for money since no one knows about their needs or cares for them like dogs and cats. And most businesspeople are smart enough to notice this fact.

if you click on their slideshow, it shows many, many vases and things the bettas are put into. Some with flowers floating, some with candles!!

I was surfing trying to find a betta fish garden flag - those small ones to put in my flower beds, course I couldn't find that, but I did find several websites that did have betta "stuff" from informed entrepraneurs. Such as the link I put in my post on the "betta vases" thread. What really made me happy was an article I read on a woman who based her master's thesis using betta fish as an example of how society treats the smaller/weaker in society after she had been into a super petstore, seeing how the bettas were kept and how the sales people advocated the correctness of this.

So, there are many good people out there, I prefer to think of many of these people as uninformed versus meaning to be cruel. Before I did research prior to getting my first betta, Neptune, I also thought they could be kept in a vase..........even though I wondered how a little fish could be happy or healthy living like that. It was my husband who suggested surfing the net which I did, and was relieved to find that it was not proper to keep a betta in a vase. Anyway....knowledge is power so as with so many things, education is the best way to show others...............

When I said " sometimes I hate people" - well, that comes from 30 years of working at a career in which you usually don't see people at their best.. :;b.I actually like most people but when I have day of seeing mans inhumanity to man and nature, it really gets to me..........FISHLORE PEOPLE ROCK!!!!

Also, if anyone finds a website that sells small garden flags with betta fish, please post link..................Val

Advertisement
yea, we were told a vase too, but researched before buying our 1st betta. it is a sad reflection on our society how we treat the weak and helpless just for profit or convienience or even pleasure.. some of it's stupidity or ignorance, but most isn't.

same thing goin on here, nxt time u go to petsmart, look at the goldfish/betta bowls they sale, one looks like a fish shaped wine glass

Re: OMG Is There no End to What People Will Do?? -- Rent Betta's as Centerpiec

can you repost that link? it gets an error.

It is a link to "Lavarium Aquarium" on Pet Smart. I don't know if this link will work any better -

It is a 1.6 liter 'tank' with the usual uninformed people commenting about how appropriate it is for a betta. :-\

yea..a sad prison for a betta (or any fish). what's really sad is the even smaller "tanks" these places sell..

Advertisement
I'm sorry you lost him, I wish I had room to rescue all tha betta fish at petsmart...and that's the good one that i'm talking about, I still haven't gone into petco to see how they treat their fish >

I'm sorry you lost him, I wish I had room to rescue all tha betta fish at petsmart...and that's the good one that i'm talking about, I still haven't gone into petco to see how they treat their fish >

I wouldn't go into Pecto to buy a fish if you want a healthy one. Most people here call it "deathco". They treat there fish worse then petsmart. Atleast Pesmart puts dechlor in those cups. Petco, atleast my petco by me, doesn't even do that. They are just in plain water. If you know when they get their shipment in your better off going then if you do buy one from there. I bought my little pebbles there, but she was also dropped off there a few days before hand. So she was still pretty feisty and very healthy. That's the only way I'd buy a Betta or any fish for that matter from that place. Natalie

yeah...i'm gonna check my lps, lfs and petsmart, see which betta I like best, and buy it

I have found it varies from store to store. I wouldn't buy a fish from the Petco that is by my house. But the one that is across town (where I got Jett) has a VERY nice fish department. The bettas are still kept in their little cups, but generally look clean and not as bad as the Petsmart I visit. Where as one of my local (not chain) LFS keeps some of the bettas in tanks with other fish like tetras and such, and they always look worse than the ones in the cups at Petco. I think individual stores vary too much, I can't condemn them across the board.

same thing goin on here, nxt time u go to petsmart, look at the goldfish/betta bowls they sale, one looks like a fish shaped wine glass

OMG Not only is that cruel to the betta, it is cruel to the wine glass............;which should hold nothing but wine!!!!

:'( OMG I didn't know what you ment by Lavarium so clicked on the link. HORRENDOUS!! poor little mights, I'm so pleased to hear you saved Lava and gained his trust. I'm sorry that he has gone but he had a great life in the end!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
arvind2205
Replies
Views
lea
Replies
Views
Betta/Horse lover
Replies
Views