OMG. I have a murderer :(

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

:( When I came home from work today, one of my zebra danios was dead on the bottom of the tank and my bully gourami was eating him !!!!!!!!! I am thinking of taking the gourami back. I am pretty sure he was attacked by the gourami because my water parameters are perfect! 0/0/10... :( what should I do?

Should I try the breeding box and put my gourami in it (because he is also harassing my other gourami) or should i just say two strikes is enough and get another danio and a couple of oto's in his place?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Gouramis can be butt heads. If he's too aggressive for your fish, I'd take him back. You're gonna have to decide if you want him as the main fish in that tank. Eventually, the other gourami is probably gonna act the same way since he won't be bullied anymore, and will probably become a bully, but there's always an exception. They are beautiful fish, but can be quite aggressive when they don't have other aggressive fish to keep them in check. You may want to just get the other danio and the otos if you don't want to chance any more deaths in your tank. Sorry about your fish. :(

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

mine keeps to himself most of the time

lol when i saw this post i thought you meant you actually have someone trying to murder you

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

lol Jon

anyway-- i don't know what to do :(

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

OK so last night while I was doing a water change, the weak gourami turned on the bully gourami and start nipping at him. Could this be a good sign or a bad sign? Wouldn't it be better if I had 2 aggressive gouramis?? wouldn't that keep them both in check.?? I am not sure if this is a turning point for the weak one.

6. Parvath Initiate Member

Sorry to hear about the fish...I am a newbie and no expert at how fishes behave !!! But I would exchange the bully with a diffrent one...

7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I know -- it seems like my other gourami is getting stronger, so we'll see if that changes the pecking order in the tank.. :-\ after that I guess i will decide

8. vin Well Known Member Member

Gouramis need 'personal' space.....Because they're found in the shallows or even puddles in the wild they are protective of their space. If they feel their territory is being infringed upon they will defend it, so it may not be "bullying" at all. If you have two, make sure you have enough room for them to go their separate ways if they get into a spat. They should have some floating plants and/or top cover.

9. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I do have alot of room in the tank for each of them to have plenty of space, but it seems like until just recently, the "bully" would run the other gourami (**********Let's Make this easier, LOL - the bully gourami's name is Tony, and the victim gourami's name is AJ, lol now i can use their names *** )

Up until just recently, Everytime AJ would come out into the "open" of the tank, Tony would chase him back into this back corner behind three plants. But last night, when I did a water change, AJ attacked Tony this time (for reasons unknown) and now AJ is coming out more often. Even though they are both still staying at their seperate ends of the tank (AJ has the whole left side now, and Tony seems to have the whole right side) So I am wondering if things are changing???

Anyway -- Thank you all for all of your replies :) I really appreciate it :)

10. vin Well Known Member Member

It could be that AJ just had enough of "Big Tony"......and told him 'fuggedaboutit....I ain't lettin' you push me around no more, ya hear me ya mammalook!?' :D :D

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

LOL ;D