Omg help help!!!!!

1. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

My friend is going on vacation for a few weeks and since she knows I'm crazy about fish, she asked me to care for them while she's gone. The directions were to feed some pellets once every other day. I had no clue which fish she had, but as soon as I found out, I'd research the feeding info if I didn't already know what to do. She didn't tell me to do any water changes, though, but I didn't panic, since I figured she was thinking that I obviously knew to do water changes, so again, I didn't say anything.

After she got on the plane, I went to her house to check out the fish. I walked around her house looking for the fish tank, and that's when I saw it. A tiny, maybe 5 gallon at most, BOWL. I couldn't believe she would put ANY FISH AT ALL in a bowl! But then I really looked for the fish inside, but it was so difficult because the water was extremely cloudy and now I start FREAKING OUT. I looked really hard inside the bowl and I can spot some movement. I currently see what looks like 3 Ryukin Goldfish and about 10 baby angelfish. HOW DO THEY EVEN FIT? I spotted some pebbles down at the bottom and realize that they're ones from her garden. In case I haven't said it yet, there's no other decor in there. Oh, and obviously no FREAKING FILTER! I'm totally freaking out right now. I looked in her fish supplies drawer, hoping for some dechlorinator so I can transfer them to a Rubbermaid tub or something while I try to do something better. All I found in there was a cup. So I raced home, grabbed my handy fine mesh net, some gravel, a huge spare 60 gallon tank that I just bought and another 40 gallon tank that I also recently bought, some decor, 2 powerful filters and 1 heater (for the angelfish, not for the goldfish cause I heard that they're coldwater fish), some dechlorinator, some test kits (not test strips, but test KITS) and some Dr Foster and Smith "Colonize" and some nice used filter cartridges from already cycled tanks. I raced there and rinsed off the gravel and decor, added them to the tanks, added water, added dechlorinator and the colonize stuff (since I obviously don't have time to cycle the tanks, duh) and I added on both filters (yah know, one per tank, obviously) and the heater for the 40 gallon. I added in the filter cartidges and let the filters run for about an hour. Then I took the net and netted out the Ryukins, adding them to the 60 gallon, and the I netted out all 12 baby angelfish (I finally counted them all) and put them into the 40 gallon. I took that stupid bowl and took out her garden rocks, threw them outside and dumped all the stupid water down the STUPID DRAIN!!!!! I was so mad I ran over the bowl with my car, which obviously wasn't the best idea but I was SO MAD!!!! The fish seem like they're SOOOOOO much happier now, but since I'm not experienced when it comes to these types of fish, I don't know if I've done everything correctly. I've done all I can think of, but if someone knows of anything more I can do, please let me know!!!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

OMG I can't believe the angels weren't dead in those conditions! bizaliz3 knows more about baby angels than I do, but it sounds like you're doing wonderful things for these poor fish.

3. Pastel.Fish.

Pastel.Fish. Valued Member Member

Oh my gosh I'm really surprised that they weren't all dead! I'm not an expert on these types of fish either but you did the right thing!

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

That's sad... What are you going to do with them? Next time though(hope there's never a next time), I wouldn't destroy her property... I would have wanted to do the same thing though... Even the 40g is to small for all those Angels. That's just sad...

5. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

I saw that exact same bowl at the dollar store, I'm definitely mad at her. Especially because she tries to correct MY fish facts.

I'm going to keep her fish. I don't care what she says, until she learns about the requirements of fish, she shouldn't have them.

The 40g was just because it was a good little spare tank for them. They're very small, just babies, so they'll fit for a while, but obviously not for long. What do you think, maybe a 100g for all 10? I'm willing to buy more, my whole life is practically dedicated to fish, I'm not short on money or room for them :)

Since I'm not very experienced with baby angels, any info given will be much appreciated, thanks :)

6. Platylover

I will now also direct you to @biizaliz3. I don't know much about angels, so I can't help you. Hope all goes well and she learns how to take care of her fish.:)

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a pic of the Angels?

8. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

I can't get a good pic of em, but I'm pretty sure they're platinums :)

Baby angelfish are adorable!!!

9. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

UPDATE: I've transferred the 12 baby angels (not really babies anymore, they're growing so fast) to a 150 gallon tank that I bought for them. Will that tank be large enough?

10. Platylover

I think that'll work! That's such a big tank haha. Please post photos.:)

11. c

carollaurenreilly Valued Member Member

I know nothing about you but this post makes me think you are amazing! Well done!

12. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

wow! you just became my favorite person!

13. c

carollaurenreilly Valued Member Member

Yes!!! Pictures!!! :)

14. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

Aww, you guys are all so nice, haha. She got back from her vacation and she saw the remains of the bowl in her driveway, lol. She came over to my house and started screaming at me for running over her fish. Without saying anything, I dragged her to my bedroom where her fish were and explained everything to her. She's finally learning about the fish but until she fully does, I'm still keeping them. They're all doing much better now.

15. GuppyKeeper007

GuppyKeeper007 Valued Member Member

Now she has to deal with a higher electric bill...

16. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

Haha, yeah, but if the electric bill will be too high for her I'll still keep them and she can come and look at them whenever. :)

17. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

fisharegreat8962.....you did a wonderful thing for those fish. I swear some people should never have an aquarium. For her to give you advice is beyond me. I can only imagine the look on her face when she saw the fishbowl. Haha!!!
    I hope since she saw how you keep them, she will do something better the next time she decides she wants to keep fish again.

18. OP
    OP
    fisharegreat8962

Yeah, but I see so many stories like this online and stuff and there's nothing that I can do to help those fish except spread information as much as possible. I'm glad I could save her fish. :)

19. Nicholas1234

Nicholas1234 Well Known Member Member

I'm glad you could save them too, And your right people need to learn how to care for fish if they're going to get them there's too many problems with people not doing their research and killing these fish.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. GuppyKeeper007

GuppyKeeper007 Valued Member Member

Makes me wonder how many other people have the same setup as your friend...