OMG!! Heater nearly cooked my fish!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I go up this morning I checked Karma and her water temp was up to 88 degrees!!! Her heater has not been able to hold the temp steady lately, fluctuating between 78 - 84 all throughout the day. I was wondering if it was because she is in such a small tank (4 gallon Kritter Keeper) or because it's been cold here lately and the room temp keeps changing. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how hot the water was when I put my hand in! She seems to be fine... I slowly lowered the temp back to 80 degrees by adding cool water.
I was thinking... I'm going up to the store to buy a new heater anyways, should I get her a 5.5 gallon tank? They have tanks (just tank not kit) for only $9.99 so it's affordable? Would this help with the heat problem? Could I just quickly pour her old gravel into the new tank with a little old water and her filter and would it stay cycled or would it have to re-cycle?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to get a 5.5 gallon. Do you have an airstone in the critter keeper? Where do you keep it? You don't keep it near a heat or air conditioning vet, do you? If you do your not supposed to. I would say there is definitely something wrong with the heater. I would get new heater and get the 25 or 50 watt stealth heater's. You can control the temp with that. As far as recycling you probably would have to recycle it, but I think as long as you put the old media fliter in it along with the gravel and I guess some of the old water,as long as it's not real dirty it should be safe to put her in there with it. Just keep a close eye on the water perameters for the next couple weeks. Natalie

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately those good Stealth Heaters are not an option for me. I live in Canada and the 25 watt one costs $60!! Even ordering it online is too expensive. I've always used the Top Fin which is cheap but has never given me any trouble. I made the mistake of buying a Marineland Neptune heater for Karma's tank even though it cost $6 more than the Top Fin because it was about an inch smaller in size and because her tank is so small already, I thought it would fit better in there. It comes with a 2 year warranty but stupid me went and lost the receipt so I'm screwed. I will just get another Top Fin. They don't have exact temp settings, but if you turn the dial just past the mid point you get a consistent 80 degrees.
Her tank is not neart any air/heat vents. I have no airstone in there because the Whisper 3i filter I have in there is run with an airpump and aerates the water automatically.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I really don't recommend getting another topfin. You are really waisting your money. I was just on dr.Foster and Smith and I literally put it through an order without buying it and with the shipping it's only 24.38. They have the 25 watt ones. That's the one I did the order for. If you can afford it you are better off. They come with a lifetime warranty I think, so if you ever have a problem with it as long as you keep the invoice you can send it back to them and they will send you another one no questions asked. They are great. I always shop through them, as does Rose. If you can't afford seriously I'll buy it for you and send it to you through them. I'm being serious. Natalie

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's also the time factor. It's pretty cold in here. I share an apt with my brother and he can't tolerate heat at all! No matter how many times I turn up the thermostat, he turns it down to 60 degrees AND opens a window! I had to put my foot down on open windows in the fish room so now he only opens them in his bedroom. It is below freezing outside so I don't know what his problem is!  :  I've had to remove Karma's heater and she really can't go several days without one. My brother is at work now so I cranked the heat up to keep her warm until I get back. I need to go to the fish store anyways for food and other supplies so I'll just pick up another heater there. They may not last 10 years like a better brand, but I've used 4 of them for about 6 months and never had a temp fluctuation or problem. A 25 watt one costs about $15 here. In the US they are probably under $10. You guys are SOOOO lucky to live in the US! You guys are even able to get 5 gallon Hex tanks for what... $29 at Walmart?  I paid $80 for mine! Everything costs a fortune here!
I think I may pick up that 5.5 gallon tank anyways just because it may help keep the temp more stable. It's a glass tank. The Kritter Keeper is thin plastic so maybe that makes a difference. I need an emergency hospital tank anyways so I can use the Kritter Keeper for that if needed.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, fine how about this. You buy the Top fin one and I still buy the stealthheater and in case anything happens to this one or if you just want to trade it out and keep the top fin on hand in case you ever need it, then you can. At least you'll have a good heater and won't have to worry about whether or not Karma or any of your other fish are getting enough heat. I want to do this for you . I WON'T take no for an answer. If you want you can even pay me pack. It doesn't matter to me. This site is about helping people and if I can I'm always trying to help people. What can I say I'm a very generous person. Natalie

OK, I'm buying it for you whether you want it or not. Just send me your address through my email. It's natalie_wierman2006 at yahoo dot com Please let me do this for you!! ;D Natalie

PS I noticed the underscore didn't show in the post when I posted it. There is an underscore between natalie and wierman.

PPS. Don't argue with me because I'm told I always win the arguments. I'm a very persistant person too. I don't give up until I get what I want. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, Natalie does seem to win the arguments.

Phloxface, if you get a 5.5 gallon tank, you will need at least a 50 watt heater.  And, if you are thinking of going with a 5.5 gallon at some point in the near future, you might want to just go ahead and get the bigger one now.

Natalie, if you post your email, you might want to post it as natalie_wierman2006 at yahoo dot com.  That helps to throw off spammers who use the cut-and-paste method of harvesting email addresses.  I'm sure the one you posted was a throwaway alias, but, it may help you to keep that address longer by avoiding spammers. 

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's true. I didn't even think about it. I'll correct it. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The 25 watt will work just fine for the 5.5 gallon tank. They are good for 8 gallons and under. You can go with either one. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do use the 25 watt in my Hex5's and they hold an even heat pretty well and I move my heat a lot as it seems lately I have had a few problems with spots on my little guys and not taking chances.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am also having difficulties with one of my heaters. The heat is constantly fluctuating in one of my 10 gallons. It's time for me to get one of those stealthheaters too. I definately don't want cooked fish!

CherryRose ;D

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
nmwierman1977 said:
OK, I'm buying it for you whether you want it or not. Just send me your address through my email. It's natalie_wierman2006 at yahoo dot com Please let me do this for you!!   ;D  Natalie
;D I appreciate that but it's not necessary. I've already been to the store and bought one, and I also picked up the 5.5 gallon.
If it makes you feel any better, they had no Top Fin heaters so I bought an "All Glass Aquarium" brand 50 watt heater which has adjustable thermostat just like the VisiTherm. It has a lifetime warranty. It's also delightfully tiny! Only about 5 inches long. Here's a link to their home page if you want to see what they look like.
It was $32, twice the price of the Top Fin, but still much cheaper than the VisiTherm.
I'll post a pic of Karma in her new tank when I get her all set up.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
8) Awesome!!! I will check out that link you posted. I may get one of those too. I know of 2 pet stores in my area that carry that brand. If they want more for their heaters than what the one at that site is, I may be able to bargain. ;D

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad they didn't have the Top fin ones, because that forced you to buy another kind and a much better one at that. It's almost identical to the stealth heater's and it even better that it has a lifetime warranty on it. So, yes it makes me feel a lot better. ;D I was only trying to look out for you and Karma. If you ever need anything and you can't get it in Canada please don't hesitate to ask for help especially if we can get it here in the US. Natalie

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's Karma in the new 5.5 gallon with her new heater. As you can see, the heater is tiny and easily hidden. It's keeping the temp an even 80 degrees now. For some reason the tank looks enormous in this picture! Maybe because Karma (the shadowy little figure in the middle) is so small. I finally have some place to use the tree root ornament. The sections of the divided tanks are too small for it and the Hex is too crowded with it.
I think all it needs is a few more small plants in the foreground...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, it looks wonderful and she looks very happy. Were you able to transfer the filter? I hope you do not have to recycle.

She is so active and happy there. It makes my heart feel good for her.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Phloxface you did a great job with that tank! I've seen that tree root ornament. Sure looks good in a tank. They have another huge version too. I like it!

I'm happy for wee lil ((karma)) So sweet

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I scooped out some of the cleaner water from the top of her old tank and saved it in a bucket. I just pulled out her filter and let it run in the bucket with the old water. I poured out the gravel into the new tank (even though it had some debris I made sure whatever bacteria were in it were saved), and right away poured the old water (about 1.5 gallons) in and the fresh water and the filter. It all took about 10 minutes and the filter and gravel stayed wet the whole time. I had everything prepared beforehand. All it takes is a little planning. I scooped Karma out with a measuring cup and had her wait in there while I worked. It's a big 4 cup size and I only filled it 1/4 way because she is SO impatient she jumps up and down the whole time. She was only there a few minutes but try telling HER that!  ;D She looked so confused when I put her back in the new tank. She was like " It LOOKS like my tank... but I'm not sure..." 
I think it should stay cycled pretty much. It might have a mini cycle but nothng too bad. I'll keep on eye on the water parameters and do water changes if needed.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your tank is beautiful! I love the tree root decoration. I haven't seen it before. Where did you find it?

Karma looks so happy and so tiny. (((((((Karma)))))))

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can always add more plants, but I think it looks pretty good now. Karma sure looks to be enjoying it.

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom