Omega One Veggie Rounds

Lucy

Product:
Omega One Veggie Rounds

Description:
This food is for both Freshwater and Saltwater Herbivores.

Ingredients:
Whole Kelp, Spirulina, Whole Salmon, Halibut, Seafood Mix (Including Krill, Whole Herring, & Shrimp), Wheat flour, Wheat Gluten, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative),Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein….34%
Min. Crude Fat……….8%
Max. Crude Fiber…….6%
Max. Moisture………. 8.5%
Max. Ash……………..15%
Min. Phosphorus…...(0.5% )
Min. Omega 3 ………. 2%
Min. Omega 6…………1%

(Source: Found on the packaging)

Pros:
Unlike many of the other algae wafers on the market the first ingredients aren't fish meal, wheat or flour.
They sink quickly and soften up making them great to supplement my ottos's diet. They go right after them.
I have tried other algae wafers and my ottos ignore them.

Cons:
If anything, the addition of artificial colors. (Do fish really care what color their food is?)
Malaysian Trump Snails really really like them. (This could be a pro depending on your opinion of MTS

utkgreg

Thanks Lucy! How big are the rounds?

Lucy

You're welcome!
I'm really happy I switched brands.

They are about the same size in diameter as the average algae wafer maybe a bit thinner.

Dom90

You're welcome!
I'm really happy I switched brands.

They are about the same size in diameter as the average algae wafer maybe a bit thinner.

Do you know how do these veggie rounds compare to HikarI algae wafers? Trying to choose between the two for my SAEs when I get them.

kidster9700

Do you know how do these veggie rounds compare to HikarI algae wafers? Trying to choose between the two for my SAEs when I get them.

Read the ingredients. I saved a coworker from hikarI wafers the other day. They aren't the worst, but if you notice the first few things on omega one are seaweed and veggies etc. other wafers it's like "wheat" "fish meal" those aren't terrible, but not high quality.

kidster9700

Noticed you posted the list on omega one, someone should post hikari's. I don't think I'm too far off (although I switched kelp for seaweed in the previous post). I will recommend omega one veggie rounds until I die. They are literally the best thing you can feed your bottom dwellers (plus a sinking pellet supplement maybe)

Dom90

Read the ingredients. I saved a coworker from hikarI wafers the other day. They aren't the worst, but if you notice the first few things on omega one are seaweed and veggies etc. other wafers it's like "wheat" "fish meal" those aren't terrible, but not high quality.

Ah yes, I can see why. All the fillers that are included. It'd be like feeding my dog purina. Other reputable brands that make high quality algae wafers?

kidster9700

Ah yes, I can see why. All the fillers that are included. It'd be like feeding my dog purina. Other reputable brands that make high quality algae wafers?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember. Personally I like tetra brand crisps/flakes but for some reason I can't remember if they make wafers????? Omega one also makes a sinking micro pellet that's the same as the veggie wafers btw.

Dom90

Yea that'll probably be easier for the SAEs to chew on also.

Everything looks good about this food on paper. Only gripe I have is, like every other algae wafer, they're too big for small algae eaters like Otos or SAEs.

kidster9700

Everything looks good about this food on paper. Only gripe I have is, like every other algae wafer, they're too big for small algae eaters like Otos or SAEs.

Get the sinking micro pellets. OR break them in half/quarters. That's what I do.

Dom90

I did, they're still too big lol. I might need a hammer just to crush them small enough.

kidster9700

I did, they're still too big lol. I might need a hammer just to crush them small enough.

I crush mine up small enough that my Molly fry nibble on it. (15 get one little crumb haha)

Dom90

Right, these 6 juvy SAEs are picking at crushed pieces of one veggie round lol

kidster9700

I put one whole in for the snails and shrimp to munch on. I also break one up into thirds or so to spread across for 6 JuliI corys and one bumblebee catfish.

Dom90

I'm sure my two new Kribensis would enjoy them as well

kidster9700

All my fish nibble on them, mostly as they sink down but they make a great supplement to my fishes normal diet of crisps, flakes, and bloodworms.

Dom90

But I'm afraid of my royal danios always swooping in like hawks and eating everything before it even hits the substrate...

kidster9700

Drop them in at the same time as whatever their favorite food is. So I usually drop in the veggie wafers then one or two bloodworms to catch the other fishes attention. (Then I add their normal food-flakes and crisps)

Bluestreakfl

But I'm afraid of my royal danios always swooping in like hawks and eating everything before it even hits the substrate...

My Harlequin Rasboras do this too. Anytime sinking pellets go down, its like theyre playing tennis with them.

Regarding the Omega One Veggie Rounds, these are what my Albino BN Pleco gets between fresh veggies and 2 other types of sinking pellets. He loves them, drags them off to his cave and devours them. I love that the first 2 ingredients are Kelp and Spirulina. Too many other brands of Algae/Veggie type foods, I always see fish meal or wheat as the first two ingredients, really peeves me. I buy Veggie and Algae foods because I want them to be primarily that. Good Review Lucy!

Dom90

Yea, HikarI and Aqueon have a lot of fillers, its like the fish food version of Purina and Pedgree

JamieXPXP

so I'm pretty impressed with this wafer, my mystery and nerites wouldnt touch any of the other wafers ive tried or would eat very little of it. with this brand though....my mystery ate an entire wafer to himself while a nerite was sulking on top of him trying to get to the food lol. I just wish they were sold locally here

CHIMERA

Aw I’d love to see a pic of the smol bean sulking on the mystery snail.

JamieXPXP

id have to get a pic next time! haha it was super cute I was too busy watching to take a pic

Ben404TA

I’ve have very good luck with these. Plecs love them

NLindsey921

Last night I bought the omega one veggie rounds for my plecos and threw 2 in before bed because I know they are nocturnal. This morning I woke up to gray stuff all over the tank. Is this from the veggie rounds or something else?
cdfda057c9ea0c5de12213be4b0468a8.jpg
976e663369b7f183f5b9b03291e95bb5.jpg

Thunder_o_b

From the rounds. The algae wafers I use do that but all the fish and snails make short work of it.

TexasDomer

Likely from the rounds. I fed those a few times a week, but fed veggies most of the days during the week because they were less messy (and very good for herbivorous and omnivorous plecos).

JamieXPXP

its from the rounds, although a its great product. it can be messy especially if you have messy eaters or leave it in the tank for too long, like all wafers are

NLindsey921

Ok. That's what I was thinking. I couldn't figure out where else it could have come from.
Got to suck it out though cause I do not have enough shrimp or snails to take care of it. Gots to get some more.

Skavatar

I have to give a +1 to Omega One Veggie Rounds. my goldfish eat these up, and they all sink. 1st ingredient is kelp and 2nd ingredient is Spirulina. helps with digestion.

a little pricey, $8 for 4oz, but good quality ingredients.

WrenFeenix

I pulled a jar of Omega One Veggie Rounds that I had bought a while ago from the freezer so I could feed it to my fish. I looked at the label because I’d heard that Omega One changed the formula.
Here’s the label:

D2BEC3DD-21FD-4771-AA54-71C80235CBE5.jpeg
I thought the veggie rounds were one of the best foods Omega One made. I fed these to my goldfish because their goldfish pellets aren’t nearly as good.

The new formula is completely different.
Ingredients:
Salmon, whole herring, wheat germ, wheat flour, rice bran, kelp, whole shrimp, pea protein, wheat gluten, spirulina, herring oil, citric acid, ascorbic acid, vitamin E supplement, mixed tocopherols, niacin, inositol, astaxanthin, canthaxathin, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement

Aww, now I’m sad.
Guess I’m getting Algaemax from now on.

gregoranddexter1816

I pulled a jar of Omega One Veggie Rounds that I had bought a while ago from the freezer so I could feed it to my fish. I looked at the label because I’d heard that Omega One changed the formula.
Here’s the label:

D2BEC3DD-21FD-4771-AA54-71C80235CBE5.jpeg
I thought the veggie rounds were one of the best foods Omega One made. I fed these to my goldfish because their goldfish pellets aren’t nearly as good.

The new formula is completely different.
Ingredients:
Salmon, whole herring, wheat germ, wheat flour, rice bran, kelp, whole shrimp, pea protein, wheat gluten, spirulina, herring oil, citric acid, ascorbic acid, vitamin E supplement, mixed tocopherols, niacin, inositol, astaxanthin, canthaxathin, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement

Aww, now I’m sad.
Guess I’m getting Algaemax from now on.
what about other brands? or you can make your own at home.

WrenFeenix

what about other brands? or you can make your own at home.
I don’t know if any other brands with algae wafers I like. I’m not a fan of Hikari (depending on the variety), Tetra, API, Aqueon, and definitely Wardley. I have bug bites pleco sticks, but it doesn’t have a whole lot of seaweed in it. Maybe Northfin?
I already give my fish plenty of fresh veggies.

I just like having a lot of options; can’t have dinner time get boring. My pets eat way better than I do.

gregoranddexter1816

I don’t know if any other brands with algae wafers I like. I’m not a fan of Hikari (depending on the variety), Tetra, API, Aqueon, and definitely Wardley. I have bug bites pleco sticks, but it doesn’t have a whole lot of seaweed in it. Maybe Northfin?
I already give my fish plenty of fresh veggies.

I just like having a lot of options; can’t have dinner time get boring. My pets eat way better than I do.
My snail and shrimp refuse to eat any veggies. Instead, I make snail jello. It is soft and easy to digest for them but still holds it shape in the water. Would you like my recipe? Its super way and you can leave things out or put things in. I like it because I put mostly calcium-rich veggies in it like cucumber and green beans. But I add other fish food to it so they get a little bit of everything in it.

WrenFeenix

My snail and shrimp refuse to eat any veggies. Instead, I make snail jello. It is soft and easy to digest for them but still holds it shape in the water. Would you like my recipe? Its super way and you can leave things out or put things in. I like it because I put mostly calcium-rich veggies in it like cucumber and green beans. But I add other fish food to it so they get a little bit of everything in it.
I don’t have any sails, but I would like the recipe. It would be great to know in case I do ever get snails.

YellowGuppy

"Veggie" rounds, eh? Let's take a look:

Salmon (not a veggie), whole herring (not a veggie), wheat germ (not a veggie), wheat flour (not a veggie), rice bran (not a veggie), kelp (ACTUAL VEGETATION!), whole shrimp (not a veggie), pea protein (part of a veggie!), wheat gluten (not a veggie), spirulina (ACTUAL VEGETATION!), herring oil (not a veggie), citric acid (not a veggie), ascorbic acid (not a veggie), vitamin E supplement (not a veggie), mixed tocopherols (not a veggie), niacin (not a veggie), inositol (not a veggie), astaxanthin (not a veggie), canthaxathin (not a veggie), riboflavin (not a veggie), vitamin A supplement (not a veggie), vitamin B12 supplement (not a veggie).

I'm unrelated news, I'm going to start selling "wheat" bread that's mostly dirt, water, rocks, roadkill, mud, and also actual wheat! It's going to be $7 for a 2oz bottle.

WrenFeenix

I know, right? Kelp and spirulina were the first two ingredients of the original! Amazing!

Now... not so much.

The container I have cost $8.99 when I got it. Expensive compared to the other foods on the shelf (but less than Hikari), but my goldfish still goes nuts over it. Algaemax is also loaded with seaweed, so hopefully my goldie will love it too. It’s thankfully only a little bit more expensive.

TWiG87

I just bought some of these the other week and it has the same ingredients listed in the picture. Kelp and spiruluna as the first two ingredients. I guess I got an old container?

Islandvic

The Ken's house brand of fish food ok the Ken's Fish website has both "sticks" and flake that are 100% vegetable ingredients.

They have around 3 different types of "Spirulina" blends of foods, but one of them lists Spirulina as the first ingredient.

I've been using Ken's house brand for over 2 years, quality stuff. Fish eat it all up and doesn't cloud the water.

Lucy

Given the ingredients, I never understood why they called them veggie rounds in the first place.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishrlene
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views