Omega One Flake Food

voiceless_kat
I was finally able to find some Omega One flake and shrimp pellets in Duluth. Soi was all excited to use them in the 55g. I have decided it is like getting kids to eat broccoli!

The flake goes in, and (all except the krib )- take it in, and one times out of five, spit it out again??? Dah, what's up with that??

I can only think it is like cheaper cat food, full of taste, they devour it, but when you switch to high quality, it takes them a while to come around.

Are the flakes too large, maybe?? My Mollies eat everything, and they spit, as do the gouramis and tetras. I know the plec is getting some yummies when I do Omega One, but I just cringe as I see it fall to the substrate//

Anyone have any comments or ideas??

Thanks, Val

sirdarksol
My mollies were the same when I switched them over to OmegaOne. They eat the flakes now, though.

I think it's similar to the difference between Wonder bread and a hearty whole-grain bread. If all you've eaten is Wonder bread, it's hard to go to the whole-grain bread, even though the whole-grain has a wonderful, complex flavor to it. (And yes, I agree with you on the cat thing, as well. My cats had a seriously hard time switching from Meow Mix to Iams, and again from Iams to Wellness)

COBettaCouple
I agree. I'm sure to the fish, the taste is so different with the higher quality food like Omega One that they definitely need some adjustment time.. although our livebearers did dive right in, but they'd try to down styrofoam..

capekate
HI there Val

I agree with everyone above. It takes awhile for them to get used to new foods. They are so used to the other that when you give them something new they really do not expect it and most likely is the reason for spitting it out. They want their old stuff lol...
BUT.. they will get used to it, as mine did. And as far as flakes too big, I do crush them between my fingers when I put it in the tank, so that they have smaller pieces. It does float to the bottom and gets pulled down by the filter, but after awhile they will start trolling the gravel for a mid night snack!

~ kate

Shaina
I don't have much experience, but my little neons did the same thing at first. Now they try to steal bits from each other and swallow them before they get stolen again, lol.

Rbacchiega
you can always try some garlic suppliments...seachem makes a garlic suppliment thinger that you can add to your food as a soak....for some reason fish like garlic, and I like garlic with my fish LOL

Butterfly
yep it's because it's different. If you don't give them the old food and just give them bits of the Omega One food they will soon be eating it enthusiastically. You didn't by any chance tell them it was good for them did you ?
Carol

voiceless_kat
you can always try some garlic suppliments...seachem makes a garlic suppliment thinger that you can add to your food as a soak....for some reason fish like garlic, and I like garlic with my fish LOL

This is awful to say, makes me sound lazy..but these little turds are so spoiled, and switch around their food, so I am not going to start soaking their food. I would rather watch them spit it out, and Morley get it.... I have used the garlic thing with a sick betta tho....and it is good to know about..thanks.

yep it's because it's different. If you don't give them the old food and just give them bits of the Omega One food they will soon be eating it enthusiastically. You didn't by any chance tell them it was good for them did you ?
Carol

Geez, I actually think I did!! And I told them how they would big and strong, and stay healthy......ya ya......y'all didnt have to know that...

Funny how the Omega On Smells like fish, the other stuff smells like icky fish bits......

Well, we will just carry on. I will give it to them on the protein days until they are begging for it. (Carol, CWC shared the
protein / veg day with me).

Thanks guys & gals!!

Val

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LeoDiaz
Replies
Views
cooperbh
  • Question
Replies