Olive Nerite Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by FoulFishes, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishesValued MemberMember

Hey guys, I purchased an Olive Nerite Snail a few days ago (These and Assassins are the two coolest of freshwater snails in my opinion) but it does not appear to have the "feelers" (excuse me I don't know the real term) that they are supposed to have. Is this something to worry about?

2. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I love my snailies I have found the nerites antlers to be so very fine that sometimes they are hard to spot and myrtle one of my blood tiger ones generally keeps them hidden so I would just keep an eye on him.

You probably already know this but don't keep nerites and assassins together smaller assassins will gang up on larger snails and do what they do best

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hi,

Congrats on the new snail! Nerites have tiny antennae. You may just not be seeing them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I agree with Rogue, either they're so tiny your not seeing them or it has them retracted. My zebra nerites don't always have theirs out here's a picture where I can't see them, I think he has them tucked away:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I agree :) I have lots of nerites, and some have more prominent antennae than others. Also, like Matt said, sometimes they keep them tucked in (if a fish was nipping at them, for example). Plus if he was kept in a tank with fish, there's a slight chance they were nipped off. No need to worry though as they grow back. :)

Since it's "share pictures of your nerite" day, here's one of mine ;)

IMG_3023.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

You guys were right! He has them, he was just hiding them from me. They are quite thin and tiny though. I was nervous that they were nipped off at the LFS since fish store super stock their tanks. He came from a tank that had Chinese Algae Eaters and nippy Tetras.
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but do Nerite Snails have eyes? Mine has two tiny circles right above his feelers, they look exactly like dwarf shrimp eyes to me.

And yes, I have moved my Assassin Snails to a pest snail breeding tank so they can eat as they please without bothering my Nerite. I'm not a sadist :) Haha!

7. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Glad to hear you have moved your assassins :) I'm sure nerites have eyes but can't say I've had a chance to spot them on mine they're always off zooming about in obscure places lol ;)

8. kinezumi89

They're located at the bases of the antennae. If you look real close you can see them. :) Rogue has amazing pictures of mystery snail eyes in his snail blog, a few pages in.

9. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Kinezumi this is about nerite snails :) would love to see Rogues pictures of mystery snails though ill search for his blog :)

10. kinezumi89

Well obviously, but their eyes aren't going to be located on their hindquarters or anything :p I posted a picture of one of my nerites, I know what we're talking about :;smack I've seen my nerites' eyes, and they're in the same spot :)

11. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol sorry just checking ;)

12. Matt B

I think I can see one on my nerite, is that what that white circle is to the right of his mouth?

13. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Wow...didn't even know they had eyes to begin with...but they are definitely cool.

14. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

In your picture? I think that's a breathing tube.

15. Matt B

Wow, who knew snails had so many apparati sticking out of their faces.

16. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Wow, thats crazy! I don't have Mystery Snails, but i've never noticed their eyes all these times i've been to the pet store. I'm not used to Snails having eyes. I'm pretty sure Assassin Snails have no eyes. My Nerite's eyes were easy to spot, I wonder how good their vision really is...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice