Oldie but newbie

NurseBran85

Reaction score
Good morning!

I was part of fish lore several years ago when I kept 55 and 75 Mbuna tanks. I have since downsized living quarters and couldn’t keep those size tanks. After about 5 years without fish, I purchased a 32 gallon biocube and it’s currently cycling on week 2. Not quite sure if I want to do some smaller cichlids, or something as colorful but different. Need some guidance on stocking ideas, all I know really is mbuna. Currently
have java ferns and Mopani driftwood.
Tap water is as follows:
pH 7.4 dGH 7 dKH 4

Attachments

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
Welcome back! Maybe some Bolivian or German Blue Rams? I like how you did the plants on the driftwood!
Thank you! I was thinking that but the pH needs to come down to about 6-6.8 for them and I don’t want to alter the pH too much . Unless I’m missing something about those two needing slightly acidic.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your Ph is fine. I have GBR in my tank at 8.0 I think the heat for the GBR is the more important thing. Mine laid eggs and everything else. I may go with Bolivians next to lower my heat down.

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
Oh okay! Yeah I have the heat at 80 right now. How many gbr do you suggest and if any what tank mates ?

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
I would go 82*. with that heat there are less options for tank mates. Cardinal tetras, Rummynose tetras, I have Ember tetras but they are a lower temp fish. Sterbai cories are the only high temp cory. You will have more of a selection with Bolivians in the high 70's.
I was doing a little research just now and saw that 2 GBr, 2 dwarf gourami, 5 rainbow tetras, 5 julii cory, 3 guppies, and an octo could go together in a 32. According to That’s just under 100% stocking, however I think that’s a lot for A 32 gallon biocube. I don’t necessarily need quantity of fish, but a variety, or at least 1 or 2 striking centerpiece fish would be cool.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I agree I don't think a cube would be good for that many fish. They need more footprint.
Most of those fish are not temp compatible with the GBR. GBR need 82* or over, I would go 3 or 4 Honey Gourami skip the Rams and do the rest you have listed. You will have more high mid and low swimmers.

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
Any reason you like the honey better than the dwarf gouramis?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'll jump in here, first welcome, :)

second, I think honey gouramis are better than dwarfs since they aren't very aggressive and snobby like a DG and they are less prone to health problems vs a dwarf gourami :)

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
So if I got 4 honeys, what would you suggest the remaining stocking besides what I mentioned above that was going along with the GBR. That would give me some color, movement at all levels and I would not have to change my water parameters. I feel a stable set of parameters is key to their health. I will need some sort of algae eater because the tank will get some sun, but not too much.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to say less aggressive also. So you could have a few more than regular DG. Also for a cube the Rams and cories would be cramped, both being bottom dwellers.
I would do
3-4 honeys
6 Julii cory
6 Rainbow tetra
3 Male guppies
I would not add a algae eater for a while. It needs to be well established.

jinjerJOSH22 and FinalFins do you think this is ok?

OP
NurseBran85

NurseBran85

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
I was going to say less aggressive also. So you could have a few more than regular DG. Also for a cube the Rams and cories would be cramped, both being bottom dwellers.
I would do
3-4 honeys
6 Julii cory
6-8 Rainbow tetra
3 Male guppies
I would not add a algae eater for a while. It needs to be well established.

jinjerJOSH22 and FinalFins do you think this is ok?
Sounds good to me! Can you specify the sex you prefer when ordering online? Not many pet stores are open in my area . And I’ve ordered from liveaquaria in the past.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont have gouramis so maybe Josh will answer that. I think when my rams are gone I may get some. My pet stores arent open yet either... :meh:

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The suggestion sounds good for stocking, as for sexing all you can do is ask, luckily Honey Gourami are the exception when it comes to keeping multiple males together but if they are able to get sexed fish ask for one male and 3-4 females.

New Threads