Oldest Living Freshwater Fish

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

(Ictiobus cyprinellus)
"The fish has now been crowned the longest-lived freshwater teleost (a vast group of bony fishes) and the oldest age-validated freshwater fish on the planet."
"The researchers, led by North Dakota State University, looked at almost 400 fish and found that five were older than 100 years of age. The oldest bigmouth buffalo was 112, while nearly 200 fish were in their 80s or 90s."

"The largest of the buffalofish, the bigmouth buffalo can grow to an impressive 1.2 meters (4 feet) in length and weigh as much as 29 kilograms (65 pounds). The species is very important to the health of the local ecosystem because it competes with invasive species like the silver carp and bighead carp for resources, keeping these creatures in check. Bigmouth buffalofish also eat invasive in their larval stages, providing an important ecological service as these shellfish cause economic and ecological damage and affect swimmers and boats."

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Skavatar said:

(Ictiobus cyprinellus)
"The fish has now been crowned the longest-lived freshwater teleost (a vast group of bony fishes) and the oldest age-validated freshwater fish on the planet."
"The researchers, led by North Dakota State University, looked at almost 400 fish and found that five were older than 100 years of age. The oldest bigmouth buffalo was 112, while nearly 200 fish were in their 80s or 90s."

"The largest of the buffalofish, the bigmouth buffalo can grow to an impressive 1.2 meters (4 feet) in length and weigh as much as 29 kilograms (65 pounds). The species is very important to the health of the local ecosystem because it competes with invasive species like the silver carp and bighead carp for resources, keeping these creatures in check. Bigmouth buffalofish also eat invasive in their larval stages, providing an important ecological service as these shellfish cause economic and ecological damage and affect swimmers and boats."
I must build a tank for a lifelong companion....

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I looked at the platinum sturgeon at the LFS and thought "Who is going to want a fish the size of a sturgeon that lives centuries?" After a quick google it looks like my 7th grade biology class was wrong and sturgeon do not live for centuries. The LFS learned the same thing and donated them to different aquariums in the state.
Bony fishes still do not compete with notocords for life span. Greenland sharks do live for centuries. You get greenland sharks saying things like "So I was sitting there minding my own business when this Columbus guy pulls up with some boats and starts throwing rocks at me. He asks me if I know where America is. So I pointed him in the direction of the indies because he threw rocks at me."

New Threads