Oldest Guppy Passed Away

Gypsy13

B35066A5-1E40-47D8-AE2F-36A5D0C95307.jpeg hello. Ok, the oldest guppy we have has something protruding from her back end. I know what that’s called but my memory is in fog mode. Anyway, hubby says it’s clear. She’s been bloated looking for about two weeks. I’ve been separating the two oldest while I feed the others so I can restrict their diet. I hope the pics help. Also, I added aquarium salt to the water for the water change today. For my broken finned guppy. Now big momma is flashing.

Attachments

• DA35BAA7-A8E4-49B8-8295-574572D75CFD.jpeg
    DA35BAA7-A8E4-49B8-8295-574572D75CFD.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 112
  • CD3F756A-3074-48D9-A3AC-06C38EA536AC.jpeg
    CD3F756A-3074-48D9-A3AC-06C38EA536AC.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 103
Coradee
Giving this a bump up for you

Gypsy13
Thank you Coradee! Very much appreciated. The Vets around here have no clue.

This clear blob disappeared. She is now eating her half a green pea. Keeping my fingers and heart crossed.

Gypsy13
Ok. Big Momma now staying mostly on her head. Nobody can tell if her eyes are bulging so I’m going to get a friend to get a pic for y’all. Has been doing this for three days now. Params good. Before PWC yesterday: ammonia 0; nitrites 0; nitrates 20. After PWC 0;0;9. No change in her behavior. Know she’s old. Petco was going to “dispose” of her because she was getting old. I’ve had her 18 mos.

Big Momma is in trouble again. I know there’s a way to get this thread going again, I just can’t find it. Could you give me another bump up? I'm going to give her a little salt bath to see if it will help. Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Nothing is helping. She’s not eating much. Getting thinner. She wants me to help her but I don’t know how.

Attachments

• 7EA9F1A6-643C-4FA0-8E96-0D5B39E34007.jpeg
    7EA9F1A6-643C-4FA0-8E96-0D5B39E34007.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
  • E1C740F6-CFEC-4611-A495-2C50AAA59968.jpeg
    E1C740F6-CFEC-4611-A495-2C50AAA59968.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 4A772C8C-E56A-4391-8E46-396426DCF43C.jpeg
    4A772C8C-E56A-4391-8E46-396426DCF43C.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 92
JAMarlow
Have you treated her for parasites? The way she's bloated and some of the coloring under the skin could be caused by them.

JoeCamaro
Oh wow. I'm sorry about your guppy. I wish I could help

Gypsy13
Have you treated her for parasites? The way she's bloated and some of the coloring under the skin could be caused by them.

I’ve been listening to SirI read all last night and today. I’ve ordered leva something just in case. All I have on hand is salt and melafix. I’m afraid I’m going to lose her just because no one does aquariums around here anymore. I’ve had her a long time. Auburn university suggested I put her in the freezer! I’m sick with worry. But after listening to SirI I believe it may me parasites. Hubby said she had a clear string coming out of her. Here’s the pic he took. Please tell me what you think. Thank you!

Oh wow. I'm sorry about your guppy. I wish I could help

Thank you very much. I’m so very worried. She’s my oldest guppy. With the most darling personality. She doesn’t understand why I’m not helping even though I’m trying. Just. Thank you.

Attachments

• 14674D41-9AC9-44B3-85AE-42B48728FFD7.jpeg
    14674D41-9AC9-44B3-85AE-42B48728FFD7.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 80
  • F81AAEE2-1883-437E-BEC9-4FB821D709FA.jpeg
    F81AAEE2-1883-437E-BEC9-4FB821D709FA.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 87
Goldiemom
Could she possibly be pregnant and ready to deliver?

Gypsy13
She has no red things coming out and never has. None of the other fish do either. She has had trouble with eating too much. I made a divider out of a clear plexI aquarium shelf. So I could keep her in a corner to eat her pea while the others ate. Then when they’d done their best to clean it all up, I let her out and she'd go scavenging. She seemed to be doing so much better.

I’ve never had one stand on their head for I can’t even remember if it’s been three four or five days. I don’t know what’s wrong. Please help. Been four days. And she’s all over the tank until tonight.

jay3
My guppies with parasites had stringy white feces and would flash as well. They bloated a bit, but I could not save them. I found a parasite sticking out of one after she died.

Gypsy13
I moved a plant so I could get now pics. Hubby says I need to vacuum there. Must be some old food that was trapped under that plant. Tell me what y’all see. Hubby says there’s something wrong with her eyes.

My guppies with parasites had stringy white feces and would flash as well. They bloated a bit, but I could not save them. I found a parasite sticking out of one after she died.

It’s going to break my heart. Waiting for the wormer to arrive. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 305243AF-44DC-4C36-917B-C89ADA221AC7.jpeg
    305243AF-44DC-4C36-917B-C89ADA221AC7.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 73
  • EF23EB5A-DAB4-4297-B4DF-6EBBF44FDF16.jpeg
    EF23EB5A-DAB4-4297-B4DF-6EBBF44FDF16.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 79
  • FE2EF343-D19A-498A-AD3B-541CD8CBB500.jpeg
    FE2EF343-D19A-498A-AD3B-541CD8CBB500.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 81
  • 2315868E-CE61-43F5-95C4-F57E6BE12BA9.jpeg
    2315868E-CE61-43F5-95C4-F57E6BE12BA9.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 73
JAMarlow
White stringy poop can also be caused by a bacterial infection. If so, then Melafix might do the trick.

For parasites, you can try Prazipro, Praziquantel (this is the active ingredient in several products, including HikarI PraziPro, API General Cure and Parasite Guard), Jungle Clear, or Seachem Metronidazole (Metronidazole and Praziquantel are sometimes used with difficult cases). It's important to get the medicine inside the fish, so presoaking the fish in the medication can really help out. Remember to remove any carbon before starting to dose.

To help boost the immune system, you can soak some fish food in garlic juice. If you use Repashy or make your own gelatin-based fish food, then you can mince some garlic and put it in the mix before it firms up.

Gypsy13
White stringy poop can also be caused by a bacterial infection. If so, then Melafix might do the trick.

For parasites, you can try Prazipro, Praziquantel (this is the active ingredient in is the active ingredient in several products, including HikarI PraziPro, API General Cure and Parasite Guard), Jungle Clear, or Seachem Metronidazole (Metronidazole and Praziquantel are sometimes used with difficult cases). It's important to get the medicine inside the fish, so presoaking the fish in the medication can really help out. Remember to remove any carbon before starting to dose.

To help boost the immune system, you can soak some fish food in garlic juice. If you use Repashy or make your own gelatin-based fish food, then you can mince some garlic and put it in the mix before it firms up.

The wormer I’ve ordered kills the callamanus worms plus five others. Used the melafix just in case there’s a secondary infection. I just had to do something. Anything.

JAMarlow
Let us know how it turns out!

Gypsy13

Ok my friend. I now have teenie tiny bbs. Only a few but then I do have a giant danio (bb thankfully) that is going to a good home tomorrow. Big Momma is swimming again! So. Did the melafix help anything? One treatment? Probably not. Made me feel better though! Had to DO something. Think she’s too old for bbs. Can’t wait to separate boys from girls!

Just had to let you know you nailed it. I guess it’s her age and she’s having more n more trouble pushing them out. Thank you!

Goldiemom
Yay! Congrats!!!

Gypsy13
Yay! Congrats!!!

I’m way way overrun with guppies! Last batch was mostly males cause I only had Stinky Pinky. Newest batch mostly females. Don’t know about Big Momma’s contribution yet. Oy vey! Need one? Or thirty? Lol

Goldiemom
Lol! I have 7 males and that is plenty. I do have pregnant platy’s though. I meant to buy all females but my grandson picked one out and I forgot to check it. Of course it was a male!

Gypsy13
Lol! I have 7 males and that is plenty. I do have pregnant platy’s though. I meant to buy all females but my grandson picked one out and I forgot to check it. Of course it was a male!

Of course. I would see if Petco wanted any but I rescued them from there. Never setting wheel in that store again.

Post pics of bbs! Hubby loves the bbs!

Goldiemom
About to post some pics of one I thought was a male but now looking pregnant. Take a look under platy

Gypsy13
Big Momma still doing well. Getting more and more svelt every day. Stinky Pinky is after her constantly. Have to separate the b n g’s soon.

Gypsy13
For those of you interested, my Big Momma passed away this morning. She was swimming towards my voice and just stopped. Dead. Hubby said she looked just like her normal golden self just coming to my voice then just died. I’m glad I was there for her. She was the biggest guppy at Petco when I bought her as my Christmas present in 2016. I will surely miss her.

JoeCamaro
Sorry for your loss

Goldiemom
I know you loved Big Momma. She probably just hit her life span. That's the way I want to go...just truckin' along and then gone. Condolences, my friend!

Gypsy13
I know you loved Big Momma. She probably just hit her life span. That's the way I want to go...just truckin' along and then gone. Condolences, my friend!

The way I want to go too. It’s how my mom went.

JAMarlow
Sorry to hear about the loss! But, it's great that sh was active right up to the end. Hugs!

Gypsy13
Sorry to hear about the loss! But, it's great that sh was active right up to the end. Hugs!

Thank you! Hugs back. She is very much missed.

ColmC
18 months with the same guppy is great. Big Momma lived long with your care

Gypsy13
18 months with the same guppy is great. Big Momma lived long with your care

Thank you. Sister has started acting more like Big Momma. Not nibbling my finger yet but does come to my voice now. I think we both miss Big Momma. Only two of Big Momma’s bbs made it. Still quite small.
Can’t wait till I have a bigger aquarium for my bbs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• kaleyconniving
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
toosie
  • Liv1234
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Sprinkle
  • burntfingers