Older Style Tank Lights 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AQUA_LOVER, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AQUA_LOVER

AQUA_LOVER Well Known Member Member

Hi All, I have a 10 gal that I have an older style lid with 2 50w bulb type lights. Thye give off much more heat (and much less light) than a typical LED or T5/8 flourescent bulb. I have noticed that the temp in my tank is higher than where I wanted it and sits at about 79.8*F, though I wanted around 78 for some RCS and some cories. I have turned off the light to make sure that the heater isn't somehow turned up, but here is my question, if I decide to leave it where it is, will the cooling overnight be a problem? should I try to set teh heater for 80* or so?

Another question, what hardness level is good for these guys? My water is naturally quite hard out of the tap (about 12*), I was told cories prefer about 8* is this true? Do I need to soften my water for my cories to thrive?

2. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Change the bulbs to 15w to help cool it down. For $20 you can get an OK led off the internet and fix that problem. As far as hardness leave your tank alone, if it bothered your fish they'd already be dead or stressed out looking.

3. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I lost a batch of corries to what I thought was a parasite as they got really thin. I am hoping to avoid that again.

4. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice