Older cat doesnt like hot weather

BettaFishObsessed

Does anyone elses cats do this? The seasons are changing to the summer here and the temperatures have been 70s-80s°F and my 13 year old cat just doesnt seem to like it. She lays on the floor in the coolest spots in the house more often and is more lethargic and complains more lol. She used to be fine with the heat and like it last year but now she hates it. Shes also fine at night and in the morning but just hates the heat during the day. Is this just a thing that comes with age and does anyone elses cat do this? Im not worried or anything, just curious if its normal and if other peoples cats are like this

Fanatic

If it's anything similar to dogs, hot weather with an old animal can be difficult because they have a lower tolerance for extreme conditions outside of the normal ranges.

Dogs will begin to pant way faster than normal when exposed to warmer weather, and reduced activity is normal as well.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just wondering, is your cat a long hair? Most of my cats have never taken much issue with the heat except the long hair i had. The one loved the hot weather cuz she loved laying in the grass under the shade tree flat on her back so she could feel the breeze on her belly!

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Our "Kiki" acts the same just depends. At times she will find a spot on the floor directly in the sun. Other-times she sprawls out on the tiled kitchen floor and is dead to the world.

kiki1.jpg

We do give her more baths and brushings in the summer, she hates the baths but.. we noticed it helps. At least until we kick the A/Cs on.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

If it's anything similar to dogs, hot weather with an old animal can be difficult because they have a lower tolerance for extreme conditions outside of the normal ranges.

Dogs will begin to pant way faster than normal when exposed to warmer weather, and reduced activity is normal as well.

Yea, my moms old dog was like that too

Just wondering, is your cat a long hair? Most of my cats have never taken much issue with the heat except the long hair i had. The one loved the hot weather cuz she loved laying in the grass under the shade tree flat on her back so she could feel the breeze on her belly!

Nope mines a short hair, that one cat sounds cute tho!

Our "Kiki" acts the same just depends. At times she will find a spot on the floor directly in the sun. Other-times she sprawls out on the tiled kitchen floor and is dead to the world.

kiki1.jpg

We do give her more baths and brushings in the summer, she hates the baths but.. we noticed it helps. At least until we kick the A/Cs on.

It depends for mine too shes just like that lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BettaFishObsessed
  • Cat
Replies
Views
BettaFishObsessed
  • Question
  • BettaFishObsessed
  • Cat