"Old" Water

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you let chlorinated water sit, will it eventually turn safe to use ina tank? In other words, why is distilled water safe to use, and what makes it distilled? Thanks guys!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well yes... After a few days, in sunlight especially, the chlorine will go away. But distilled water is a whole different thing. It is boiled super hot, then the evaporated "steam" is collected. It has no minerals or ANYTHING in it. So it also has a bad buffering capacity. That means that it is not stable enough to maintain ph, and that the levels in the water will fluctuate. I don't reccommend using distilled. Use tap with a dechlorinator, or use spring water-- which you may have to treat as well.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If water is allowed to sit for 24 hours the chlorine will disapate into the air, but Chloramines won't so for most people it's safer to use a dechlorinator to prepare their water.
Carol

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I tested my tap water and it seems to have not much to none chlorine in it already. I bought soem conditioner though, so all is well. Thanks for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom