Old Tank Syndrome or BTMS?

FishDin

I just read an article on Old Tank Syndrome. It was explained that OTS is caused by a build-up of nitrate and phosphate as well as a depletion of minerals in the water.

Aren't these causes of OTS avoided by regular water changes? If that's the case, shouldn't it be called, "bad tank maintenance syndrome"? BTMS

MacZ

Aren't these causes of OTS avoided by regular water changes? If that's the case, shouldn't it be called, "bad tank maintenance syndrome"? BTMS
I agree. Or rather: The thing is, that the term Old Tank Syndrome has been coined in a time when people used to do waterchanges at best every two weeks and mostly less than 50%, so with much less dilution.

I find the terms Old and New Tank Syndrome both very much useless, as both can occur in tanks that are not in either category at the time they occur.

86 ssinit

Yes OTS took place years ago when changing water was adding water for evaporation. And you you added a cover you had less evaporation so even less added water. Many of these tanks had ug filters. So the build up under the filter and lack of water changes caused OTS. So the thought was to clean and empty the tank once a year. We’ve evolved some since than:).

kansas

I had aquariums in the 70's. The hobby has come a long way.

FishDin

Thanks for the replies (history lesson). I'm sure the tank my family had in the 1960s was a candidate for OTS. Much good progress in the hobby since then.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies
Views