Old School Heaters!

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade, Free' started by MissRuthless, Apr 26, 2017.

1. MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

I'm looking for the old style heaters, the glass tube that vise-grips onto the edge of the tank, with the knob on top and all the coils and circuitry visible inside the tube. I don't believe these are made anymore, but I have a few by penn-plax that have been going strong since the early 90s - they are the only heaters that will actually go up to 86 degrees or higher IME, and the only ones that never stop working or randomly drop the temp and need to be adjusted. The one I use for my 55g (don't know the wattage but it's huge) suddenly has water inside it, and while it still works it makes me nervous. I don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money on a new heater that I'll end up not liking for one reason or another, or that will die in six months. I've been lucky enough to have come across three of these heaters via purchasing secondhand tanks, and so I thought I'd ask here and see if maybe someone who's been in the hobby for a long time has one or a few they no longer use and would like to get rid of. If that's you, please let me know what you have and what you'd like to get for it - or if you know someone who might want to make a deal with me, please tag them! Thanks everyone :)

2. Aquaholic3Valued MemberMember

Anybody have a picture of one of these?

3. MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

ma-flow-pc-plus-submersible-automatic-aquarium-heater-50-watt-8-017a7f929a1e101ab6b54dc8d7c36258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  4. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Is this anything like the old schools?

Attached Files:

5. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Please remember that the BST forum is not part of the discussion forums, if you do not have what the Op is looking for then please refrain from posting.

6. Aquaholic3Valued MemberMember

Ahh i thought i might have had one but its not the same. I did have one like that back in the late 90s early 2000s.

7. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

This is what I use it can get up to 93 degrees . I've been using it for over 2 years, and I can still turn up the heat to fight ich if needs be.
    4ccf05bf2bc7fc6a13d7d3e2a42ad2d4.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice