Old School Aquariums (NOS)

Wilson37

Does anyone have experience with the new old stock school aquariums that have been selling the last few months?
They are built incredibly strong, old school but with modern materials. Not flimsy frames like the old stamped stainless steel ones from our youth. Side glass is 3/16" and supported by a welded angle steel frame with an impressive thick baked-on hammer finish coating. On the six gallon tanks the frame steel is 1" x 1" by 1/8" thick angle, and on the ten gallon tanks this frame is 1.25" x 1.25" x 1/8". Glass is completely connected with silicone and has strips of a flexible material between the glass and steel frame. Additional silicone seals the exterior edge of the frame to the side glass so water spills can't get into the gap. The top of the glass has a small plastic channel (I plan on replacing this with black anodized J trim so I can hide the water line). I will also wax the frame just as extra protection. Going to use a lot of them in the fish room as I sincerely hate the standard 5.5 gallon tanks with the flimsy glass that I always manage to crack. Plus these are rigid enough to be moved with some water inside. I don't know how old they are but the included pamphlet has some age to it.
If anyone knows the history behind these I would love to hear it.
You must be registered to see images

KingOscar

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I too would like to learn more about these. But don't you dare dis our antique stainless steel tanks! :p

(tank is still under construction)

Wilson37

Beautiful classic aquarium! I loved those old tanks and wish I saved some from years ago.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
plecostomuch
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views