Old man Tang, Pacific Blue Tang

Peterpiper

We were doing the rounds yesterday ( 3 LFS ), Nice way to spend the afternoon. Every marine section was close to empty, their tanks, 80% empty and the rest had 1-2 fish in them. this is still due to the holidays, but everyone is getting new stock tomorrow.
Anyway, at the first LFS they have some nice lawnmowers, so we got 1.
We moved to the next LFS ( TOTALLY TANKED, love the name ).
I have known the owner for over a year and we were talking when I noticed his Blue Tang in one of the for sale tanks. He has had this tang for 2 years and was selling it. Old man Tang is around 7-8" and was in a 75 gallon tank.
I asked how well and what he ate.. everything, Brine shrimp to marine pellets.
Then he started to ask me some Qs, how big is the tank, how much LR ETC.
When I told him we were still waiting for the new shipment of rock, he said if we took the tang we would need to cure the rock in a tub as the curing would affect the tank water, and to watch the perams due to increased bio load. Well we got him and got 50% off the price.
Took him home and 1 hour later he was swimming in the tank.. and yes, he eats everything brine shrimp, blood worm, mysid shrimp, pellets... I tried everything we had and he ate it.
A tip from the owner of TT was not to use the oven dried norI seaweed but to get the sun dried as they use some oils on the oven when they dry the nori.
Will take some pic's when I get home and post them.

Mike

Peterpiper said:
A tip from the owner of TT was not to use the oven dried norI seaweed but to get the sun dried as they use some oils on the oven when they dry the nori.
Will take some pic's when I get home and post them.
Pete - sounds like Totally Tanked has a smart owner asking those questions. Asking questions like that may slightly dampen short term sales but he'll make up for it in repeat business down the road when folks knows he cares about what he is selling.

That is interesting info too on the dried seaweed. Is it marked on the package? If not do you know which brand(s) sun dry them? My fish go nuts over that dried seaweed. I use the Julian Sprung's sea veggies and the package just states "100% dried" and doesn't specify how it was dried.

Thanks,
Mike

Peterpiper

HI Mike,
Most of the norI in the supermarkets is oven dried, he said to look in the Asian shops.
Most of it is not written in English ( that really helps ) but he said to ask the owner to tell you if its sun dried.
I would say that any seaweed for fish food would not have the oils.
NorI is what they roll sushI in, and a lot of people use this ( very good for the herbivores ) and a lot cheaper than if you buy norI from a LFS.
I am picking some up later today and will let you know the brand ( if in english )

Matt

That is great Pete.

How is "Old Man Tang" Doing???

Pete have you ever been to the restuarant in Fremantle called CICERRELLOS?

If you haven't been there then you have to go. It has 6 massive fish tanks
All the tanks are Saltwater aswell

-Matt

Peterpiper

HI Matt,
The old man is doing really well, last night 1 of the Yellowtail Blue Damselfish tried to have a go at him as he was around his rock, old man just turned around and looked at him then charged. Think the pecking order has changed, you know the old mans the boss now.

Cicerellos has been in Fremantle for as long as I can remember, They rebuilt it about 10 years ago, nice place and nice seafood. Their marine system is around 18,000 - 20,000lt.
The Cicerello family are lovely people, they had a lot to do in making Freo what it is today. Some of the older ones that I meet 20 years ago have passed on, and the younger ones run it now I think.
Maria worked there as head chef for a while.
So, yer, I know how nice it is, sitting outside with a nice feed and a cold beer... mmm

Matt

Yer it is a great place

I love all their tanks they look great

-Matt

cerianthus

Ususally Seasoned NorI (oiled and salted) come in smaller packages (10 sheets) and sealed well (vacuum sealed to keep them fresh). NorI for fish tank usually in larger packages (100 sheets and can see the norI thru clear portion of packaging). If not sure, ask for NorI used for SushI (Green).

Matt

Pete do those 3 lfs's have websites?

-Matt

Mike19

Peterpiper said:
and was selling it. Old man Tang is around 7-8"
Congr8s on the new purchase and I hope you keep that name its catchy , post pics soon you know the deal.

Mike said:
repeat business
That's what's successful business is all about, its a shame that some places define repeat business as deceased fish in a short period of time. if you get what I mean.

Matt

That's what's successful business is all about, its a shame that some places define repeat business as deceased fish in a short period of time. if you get what I mean.[/QUOTE]

It is devistating when LFS owners sell you fish that may not fit in your tank or have disease just for the

Matt

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom