Old man Alfredo :( - Page 2

OiFisho

I have a 4 year old betta who isn't doing too well now, and I'm thinking of replacements. I don't care if you don't like that I replace fish, they're fish not dogs. If you personally don't replace fish you do you, I'm just saying they're fish. So, Alfredo(the betta) hasn't been doing much or eating a lot lately, he seems very lazy and only wakes up for about 2 seconds when I turn on their bubbles. I think he's just an old fishy and might die soon, which is sad. I have 3 African dwarf frogs in that tank, along with some platys, guppies, corydoras, and mystery snails. I want a gourami, specifically a croaking gourami with it, but I don't know if that'll work. If not tell me some other cool labyrinth fish if you can please!

Fyi, I'm not ruling out all other gouramis, just wanna know if a croaking gourami will work

Fishnturtleguy933

Powder blue dwarf. Pay attention to aggression as others have stated.

Upvote 0

N13

I had my first dwarf gourami- so timid in a tank of guppies and black skirt tetras that he basically hid always and died of what I figured was starvation at the time (he was very skinny and the others are fast eaters). I go a second one after that- watched the tank at the store for a while to pick the least shy one. He’s been with me almost a year now, bigger and beautiful with blues and reds. He gets along with everyone- no fighting. Personalities all differ.
I have a female / Male pair of dwarf gourami that is peaceful but is with tiger barbs, I recommend getting semi aggresive fish to disperse aggression, another thing you can do is create their biotope in order to provide comfort, or give floating plants heavily planted tank.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Dwarf Gourami are really pretty and it's just hit or miss with them. I have a Flame one that has been super-versatile and has been in tanks with all sorts of fish with no problems. My daughter has had multiple ones and can't keep them alive. Out of necessity, my sons had one in a 10 gallon for a short time with a juveline Hap and juvenile Firemouth, and it was the DG that was chasing the African and South American Cichlids!!

Get what you'd like, but make sure that you keep an eye on whatever you get in the beginning and have a backup plan in case there is aggression.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Ok, I'll probably get a honey and some gardeni killifish, I really like my frogs and don't want anything bad to happen to them. Right now one of my ADFs in that tank has stopped swimming entirely. I don't know why, he just isn't swimming up for air or food. So, I'm just giving him bubbles that he bites at and food that floats down near him. Everything looks fine, I just don't know if he's lazy or something's wrong with him. He's been getting better in the past week, crawling around more often, still not swimming though. Maybe he's more active at night, last time I panicked because some different african dwarf frogs weren't eating was because I was feeding them too early. I thought it was weird because most of the frogs I've had are active during day and night, just way more hyper at night. Off topic note, it's pretty great to watch the frogs reactions to bubbles! They swim up and down in it, eat the bubbles, or let the bubbles flow against them as they sit there! In conclusion, the frog is becoming more active, bubbles and ADFs mix wonderfully, and I'll probably put this off a while longer.

Upvote 0

N13

Ok, I'll probably get a honey and some gardeni killifish, I really like my frogs and don't want anything bad to happen to them. Right now one of my ADFs in that tank has stopped swimming entirely. I don't know why, he just isn't swimming up for air or food. So, I'm just giving him bubbles that he bites at and food that floats down near him. Everything looks fine, I just don't know if he's lazy or something's wrong with him. He's been getting better in the past week, crawling around more often, still not swimming though. Maybe he's more active at night, last time I panicked because some different african dwarf frogs weren't eating was because I was feeding them too early. I thought it was weird because most of the frogs I've had are active during day and night, just way more hyper at night. Off topic note, it's pretty great to watch the frogs reactions to bubbles! They swim up and down in it, eat the bubbles, or let the bubbles flow against them as they sit there! In conclusion, the frog is becoming more active, bubbles and ADFs mix wonderfully, and I'll probably put this off a while longer.
I never kept frogs so I can't tell you anything, maybe it's just lazy or its a disease sorry I can't help

Upvote 0

Leeman75

My son has been making noise about wanting an ADF again (we tried about a year ago). I'll have to remember the bubbles if we do end up buying one!

Upvote 0

OiFisho

My son has been making noise about wanting an ADF again (we tried about a year ago). I'll have to remember the bubbles if we do end up buying one!
This is the first time I've really put in bubbles with them, it's pretty great to watch. If you could get bubbles, I would.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I'm sorry but how does this pass as a honey gourami???

That looks like a Boesmani Rainbow
Oh, I know this may be hard to believe since yesterday was when I told about the frog who gave up swimming but, he's better. Just so you know, he did not heal overnight, It's was going on for an entire week. The full 7 days! But, earlier this morning when I fed the other froggies he came up too! I'm still putting in the flakes to make sure he eats tho.

Attachments

• honey-gourami.jpg
    honey-gourami.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Leeman75

That does not look like a Honey Gourami. Honey Gouramis are much cuter, smaller, and yellow. That does look like a Rainbow fish.

This is a really bad picture in that due to the lighting, the fish seems mostly white and washed out, but it's not. It's yellow. But it at least gives you an idea of the body shape.

20210215_174856.jpg

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I'm sorry but how does this pass as a honey gourami???

That looks like a Boesmani Rainbow
Oh, I know this may be hard to believe since yesterday was when I told about the frog who gave up swimming but, he's better. Just so you know, he did not heal overnight, It's was going on for an entire week. The full 7 days! But, earlier this morning when I fed the other froggies he came up too! I'm still putting in the flakes to make sure he eats tho.
That‘s definitely not a honey gourami.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Ok, even if this is a dead thread, Imma still post here. Today I got a dwarf gourami and it's getting along well with the fish and frogs! So far he's shown no aggression, and is more social than I expected. I named him Julio, and he hangs down by the schoolyard of platys! He tends to stay away from the big mickeymouse platys because they're bigger and I think they scare him. When he's not around the sunset platys he's behind the heater or nibbling at plants. The frogs have bumped into him which didn't seem to bother him so I think I'll be fine. For now at least, Julio just a baby, the man ADF is almost the same size as him! I gotta say, Julio is pretty coolio!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GuppyGal7
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover
Replies
Views
LHAquatics