Old man Alfredo :(

OiFisho

I have a 4 year old betta who isn't doing too well now, and I'm thinking of replacements. I don't care if you don't like that I replace fish, they're fish not dogs. If you personally don't replace fish you do you, I'm just saying they're fish. So, Alfredo(the betta) hasn't been doing much or eating a lot lately, he seems very lazy and only wakes up for about 2 seconds when I turn on their bubbles. I think he's just an old fishy and might die soon, which is sad. I have 3 African dwarf frogs in that tank, along with some platys, guppies, corydoras, and mystery snails. I want a gourami, specifically a croaking gourami with it, but I don't know if that'll work. If not tell me some other cool labyrinth fish if you can please!

Fyi, I'm not ruling out all other gouramis, just wanna know if a croaking gourami will work

bcsay720

Congrats on having a betta so old! He may pass soon, but I expected my betta who died at age 5 o die every day for about 8 months until he finally did, so you could still have a while! I don't know a lot about gouramis, but I like them, too, and am thinking of one for future tanks. Are you thinking a full sized or a dwarf?

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Congrats on having a betta so old! He may pass soon, but I expected my betta who died at age 5 o die every day for about 8 months until he finally did, so you could still have a while! I don't know a lot about gouramis, but I like them, too, and am thinking of one for future tanks. Are you thinking a full sized or a dwarf?
Dwarf, not too big, like something that could fit in a 10 or 15 gal.

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

Idk about croaking gourami but they are small so i don't see why not, But maybe a honey gourami? Dwarf gourami are pretty cool too. You can find different color varieties of them as well. Any of them would make a good option i think but i have no experience with croaking gourami so don't take my word on that.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I think my betta's going blind too, I just fed them and when he went to eat he missed by an inch. It looked like he was chewing but I don't think he got an actual piece of food. Its sad the king of my aquarium is so old, he is the entire reason I got that aquarium, because his home in the small betta tank was very sad.

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

I think my betta's going blind too, I just fed them and when he went to eat he missed by an inch. It looked like he was chewing but I don't think he got an actual piece of food. Its sad the king of my aquarium is so old, he is the entire reason I got that aquarium, because his home in the small betta tank was very sad.
This makes me miss my dwarf gourami. He had so much personality and spunk. Lost him about 6 months ago. Sorry to hear about your little guy.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Can fish get depressed? If so Alfredo might be depressed, he used to hang out with these 2 ADF s(Not the current 3) who recently died. By hang out, I mean, he wouldn't let any other fish other than snails and platys enter his territory, and the frogs which went there(which scared me at first) and even accidently stepped on him! And were fine! (I don't think the platys would've been fine if they weren't bigger) Idk, he looked to be doing better this morning when he tried to eat, but I don't think he's gonna make it another week.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Alfredo died today. Out of respect we will leave his throne empty for a week...

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Are sparkling and croaking gouramis the same? Also, I'm just going to be safe and get a dwarf gourami for that tank unless someone informs me croaking gouramis are good.

Upvote 0

Lucy

They are not the same fish. I think the names are often used interchangeably but that's not right. Trichopsis vittata = Croaking. Trichopsis pumila = Sparkling

Upvote 0

OiFisho

As much as it sucks Alfredo died, I am happy I'm not limited to fish that have to get along with bettas. If anyone has any suggestions for colorful odd fish, I'd appreciate it!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Peacock gudgeons may fit that bill for you.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

As much as it sucks Alfredo died, I am happy I'm not limited to fish that have to get along with bettas. If anyone has any suggestions for colorful odd fish, I'd appreciate it!
Not colorful but a definite odd but cool fish is a African butterfly fish. I don’t know what size tank this is but if it’s big you could do an elephant fish which is on my bucket list

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Peacock gudgeons may fit that bill for you.
Ooh they're pretty pretty. I don't know about them with ADFs, but I'll look into them!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

What size tank? Peacock gudgeons are colorful, and should work with the stock you have provided the tank is the right size.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

What size tank? Peacock gudgeons are colorful, and should work with the stock you have provided the tank is the right size.
30 gallon. I have looked up a bunch of stuff about them, they seem pretty peaceful but are territorial with others of their kind. So, if I did get them, how many would be OK? I don't want a dead one of them the very next day!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

30 gallon. I have looked up a bunch of stuff about them, they seem pretty peaceful but are territorial with others of their kind. So, if I did get them, how many would be OK? I don't want a dead one of them the very next day!
They’re actually very peaceful IME. I would try to get a trio and get two females and one male, but I wouldn’t be to concerned.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Will dwarf gouramis and killifish mind being nipped at? It won't happen very often, but the African dwarf frogs accidentally bite a lot of fish mistaking them for food. Occasionally, Cory Catfish are bitten, but not enough to actually hurt them. Mrs Biggles(The ADF) has messed up a snail tho! It was pretty insane to watch, she first started biting at the shell, then moved on and found the squishy part. Which was then, taken, and thrown all the way across the tank.
Oh, and yea, I've decided fn that I want a trio of killifish and a dwarf gourami as the new additions. I'll still take suggestions though!

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I'd still like to know if dwarf gourami and killifish will mind being nipped at

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I'd still like to know if dwarf gourami and killifish will mind being nipped at
The dwarf gourami probably will mind, and I highly doubt it’ll tolerate the frog when it does get nipped at. I would suggest avoiding any semi-aggressive fish.

Edit: Dwarf gouramis also have health issues, so might not be a good choice for that reason too.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

The dwarf gourami probably will mind, and I highly doubt it’ll tolerate the frog when it does get nipped at. I would suggest avoiding any semi-aggressive fish.

Edit: Dwarf gouramis also have health issues, so might not be a good choice for that reason too.
What kind of health issues? I'm not too worried about the nipping, because the gouramis and killifish are colorful and so far, nothing colorful has been nipped at. I've had this tank for a while, and there was an Alfredo in there who wasn't messed with at all.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

What kind of health issues? I'm not too worried about the nipping, because the gouramis and killifish are colorful and so far, nothing colorful has been nipped at. I've had this tank for a while, and there was an Alfredo in there who wasn't messed with at all.
Dwarf gourami disease (also known as Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus) is a big one. They also gave very weak immune systems (IME) and are IME one of the most aggressive types of gouramis. I once had one that wiped out a whole tank because of aggression and then afterwards it got dwarf gourami disease and ended up dying.

I just don’t see it ending well if you try to put in another semi-aggressive fish. You got lucky with Alfredo, but with gouramis they can be very aggressive, especially if their target is a slow moving fish or frog.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Possibly a pair of honey gourami could work. They are very social ans need to be kept in at least a pair. Either 2 females or a male female pair will work. Two males might be fine as well but it is a small tank and they probably wouldn’t attack each other but may stress each other out a bit. I wouldn’t put them in anything smaller than a 10 gal so I would be pushing it a bit. They are very small, colourful, have loads of personality and don’t have issues with Dwarf gourami Iridovirus or aggression. Honey Gourami are very peaceful calm fish that at]re easily upset by aggressive pushy fish. The reason a 10 gal is a bit small for them is not because they are big but because they are very smart and curious and bore easily. Having live plants driftwood for them to explore and other fish for them to watch will help keep them entertained. So basically they are just as colourful, and entertaining as the dwarf gourami but peaceful and not prone to iridovirus.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

What other fish can get iridovirus? Because if it won't spread to any other fish, than I don't care. If it dies it dies, at least I'll learn something. I have guppies, platies, and corydoras.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

What other fish can get iridovirus? Because if it won't spread to any other fish, than I don't care. If it dies it dies, at least I'll learn something. I have guppies, platies, and corydoras.
I’m not sure, but they can have other health issues too. Because of all the inbreeding they have weakened immune systems, so it’s possible they’ll introduce other diseases too. What about a pair of honey gouramis instead? They’re more peaceful and healthier.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I’m not sure, but they can have other health issues too. Because of all the inbreeding they have weakened immune systems, so it’s possible they’ll introduce other diseases too. What about a pair of honey gouramis instead? They’re more peaceful and healthier.
Maybe, I'm pretty sure iridovirus is specific to dwarf gouramis after some research, honey gouramies just aren't as colorful, I'll have to see when I get to the store.

Upvote 0

Roman96

Maybe, I'm pretty sure iridovirus is specific to dwarf gouramis after some research, honey gouramies just aren't as colorful, I'll have to see when I get to the store.
As said, DG's are so inbred now and may introduce or develop other diseases besides dwarf gourami disease. They are also very aggressive, when I had one it killed 4 of my neons right in front of me. If you want to try it then you can, but if it wipes your tank out either due to aggression or disease just know you were warned.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

As said, DG's are so inbred now and may introduce or develop other diseases besides dwarf gourami disease. They are also very aggressive, when I had one it killed 4 of my neons right in front of me. If you want to try it then you can, but if it wipes your tank out either due to aggression or disease just know you were warned.
Fair enough. Are you sure it was a dwarf gourami that killed your neons? I've researched them a lot and almost everything says they're peaceful.

Upvote 0

Roman96

Fair enough. Are you sure it was a dwarf gourami that killed your neons? I've researched them a lot and almost everything says they're peaceful.
Yep, a cobalt blue dwarf gourami. It's actually the first thing I posted about on this forum about 10-11 months ago. I was very inexperienced. Started with 2 males, one male was killing the other so I took it back and got neons. Then it killed the neons. But all fish are different, maybe I just got unlucky.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Yep, a cobalt blue dwarf gourami. It's actually the first thing I posted about on this forum about 10-11 months ago. I was very inexperienced. Started with 2 males, one male was killing the other so I took it back and got neons. Then it killed the neons. But all fish are different, maybe I just got unlucky.
Yea maybe. I'll think about it.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

My dwarf gourami also killed my fish. It depends on the individual fish, but I’ve seen a lot of aggressive dwarf gouramis.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Ok, so if I don't get one, I'm leaning towards thick-lipped and croaking gouramis. I wanna know how peaceful thick-lipped gouramis are, because obviously it's a hit or miss with DGs, and I don't know if that's the same case for these.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Ok, so if I don't get one, I'm leaning towards thick-lipped and croaking gouramis. I wanna know how peaceful thick-lipped gouramis are, because obviously it's a hit or miss with DGs, and I don't know if that's the same case for these.
Thick-lipped are a bit more aggressive than honey gouramis, but in general they’re still a pretty peaceful fish.

Upvote 0

N13

Alright you can do a honey gourami pair if the tank is not overstocked, use AqAdvisor for an estimate. I personally have a dwarf gourami pair that has been living fine for a while but thats maybe because my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are in 0 and because I have them with tiger barbs, so I recommend 1 male/female gourami and make sure to drip acclimate.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I just wanted to add that honey Gouramis are way more colourful in person. They actually come in a few colours as well. My pair was pale-ish yellow when I got them but after settling in they are now as bright as bright could be, they’ll catch your eye from across the hallway in a different room even. I feel like pics don’t really do them justice but here’s my pair, they almost have a glow to them. They are “golden” honey gourami. Honeys also come red, yellow/gradient and if youre very lucky you can find wild female specimen which are completely see through. (Tank bread honey gourami females will be just as colourful as the males). I think thick lipped gourami will be a bit too large for your tank possibly which could stress the generally peaceful fish and potentially cause aggression. If you get a dwarf gourami just lay super close attention, they’re usually chill at first then just snap and become little terrors. I love them too though, I think one day I’ll set up a tank just for a powder blue dwarf gourami

Attachments

• 4D417258-878E-4489-82FB-670C05D06ABB.jpeg
    4D417258-878E-4489-82FB-670C05D06ABB.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

OiFisho

I have nothing against honey gouramis, in fact I think they're pretty cool! It's just my tank has a lot of redish, orangeish, yellowish, fish, so I want a gourami that's at least a unique shape if not color like the thick lipped gouramis. I just feel that honeys won't stand out as much for a centerpiece kinda fish. Maybe, instead of killifish I might get a pair of those! I know most gouramis get along with each other so that might be an idea. I really don't want territory issues though.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I have nothing against honey gouramis, in fact I think they're pretty cool! It's just my tank has a lot of redish, orangeish, yellowish, fish, so I want a gourami that's at least a unique shape if not color like the thick lipped gouramis. I just feel that honeys won't stand out as much for a centerpiece kinda fish. Maybe, instead of killifish I might get a pair of those! I know most gouramis get along with each other so that might be an idea. I really don't want territory issues though.
Makes totall sense! There are sooo many amazing killi fish that would be pretty cool.

Upvote 0

N13

Get a gardeni killifish pair! They are extremely colorful.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I still have no idea which gourami I should get. Decisions are dumb sometimes.

Upvote 0

Ling313

I had my first dwarf gourami- so timid in a tank of guppies and black skirt tetras that he basically hid always and died of what I figured was starvation at the time (he was very skinny and the others are fast eaters). I go a second one after that- watched the tank at the store for a while to pick the least shy one. He’s been with me almost a year now, bigger and beautiful with blues and reds. He gets along with everyone- no fighting. Personalities all differ.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GuppyGal7
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover
Replies
Views
LHAquatics