Old Gravel Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am seriously contemplating switching out the gravel I currently have in my tank for PFS to make my corys happier.
The tank I bought came with a good 2-3 inches of gravel covering the bottom of my 30g tank, so there is a bunch of it and I feel bad throwing it out, but don't know what else to do with it! What do you all do with the old gravel you take out of tanks? Do you keep it for future tanks, repurpose it, throw it out? If you keep it, how do you store it? I feel like this is a silly question, but hopefully you all have some ideas for me

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Start another tank Poor gravel needs a new home.

Joke aside, you could put it up on your local online classifieds site either for sale or for free. Somebody starting a new tank could benefit from it.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I trashed my gravel, I don't think I could go back to it...so I figured why keep it?

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I also felt really bad about throwing out my old gravel so I keep outside it in an old bucket where it has been for almost a year. I finally found a use for it! I'm going to try growing extra plants outside this summer in my extra 29 gallon with some miracle gro potting soil so I'll use the gravel to cap it.
You could probably also use it for potting flowers or something like that too (I think people sometimes use gravel under their soil in pots for aeration or something like that?).

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone! I ended up bagging it up in four 1-gallon sized Ziplock bags. I figure I'll hang on to it for a while and if I don't end up using it for my plants like @shutterbug13 suggested, I'll probably try to "re-home" all of it to someone else who can use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom