Old Firemouth beating up my new Firemouth. Help?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just added another FM to my tank, and the original FM isnt too happy about it. I heard that FM's were good community fish, so why is it attacking this new fish? Will this aggression stop? Please help

Also: The first FM is a female and the new one is a male but hes smaller than her.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi firemouth, haven't seen you around, so I'll say welcome.

Umm, I'm not a cichlid export, but my understanding is that all cichlids (even angels) can be aggressive. The firemouths are known to be more aggressive when breeding.

Maybe one of our firemouth keepers/cichlid experts will pop in and give some more advice.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well thats the thing.. The female is starting to become sexually mature. I vented her and I clearly see that she is ready, but the male (I assume its male although I could be wrong) is not sexually mature yet.. I hope they start getting along.. The male I bought isn't in great shape either.. (Pet store has poor management of their FM's) I hope he doesn't get too stressed out

steveo416

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hey

i had same problem as you after i added 2 slightly smaller FM's in with my 2" male FM. He didnt give up after a couple of days and i noticed a few nipped fins on the smaller FM's. I ended up giving the male 2 a friend.

Yours might act differently with the female being bigger.

Hope this helps

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom