Old Filter To New Filter Change

Bbfishguy
I just bought a new filter for my 10gal tank. I want to make sure I swich them over properly so I don't destory my ammonia cycle. What is the most safe and efficient way?

Carbeo
Run both filters at the same time for a few weeks. Or put all the old media somewhere in the new filter so it seeds it and keeps doing your biological filtration.

david1978
You can either transfer over the filter media or just run both filters for a few weeks till the new one is seeded.

Amberk9
Does your new filter have cartridges that will fit in your old filter?
If it will, you can put the new cartride behind the old one in the filter so that it creates a bacteria colony and than just add that cartridge to your new filter system

Carbeo
david1978 we are twins.

Amberk9
david1978 we are twins.
That's pretty funny! I thought you were the same person for a few minutes!

Bbfishguy
Does your new filter have cartridges that will fit in your old filter?
If it will, you can put the new cartride behind the old one in the filter so that it creates a bacteria colony and than just add that cartridge to your new filter system
It is the Fluval C2. This isn't really room for the old type of filter media I have. If I run them next to each other roughy how long should they run together.

Amberk9
It is the Fluval C2. This isn't really room for the old type of filter media I have. If I run them next to each other roughy how long should they run together.
I would give it at least a week to collect enough bacteria I do this all the time with my filter cartridges, I change them once a month, and I leave 2 running together for 1 to 2 weeks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views
BittenByTheBug
Replies
Views