Old filter finally starting to die, time for an upgrade.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dasquee, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dasquee

Dasquee New Member Member

Hey guys.

My tank is about a 90G freshwater tank for starters. We got it for a friend and it's had a custom built filter in it for the last few years but I think it's time I should get a new one, it's not doing a great job of filtering the water anymore (and it's not a great type of filter TBH).

I've been looking at the external types of filters but literally have no idea where to start. As I said, its about 90G or 300L give or take. I've got a few small clown loaches, a few gouramis, a sailfin pleco and some bristlenoses in the tank at the moment. It does also have live plants in there, if that makes a difference.

The current filter works around volcanic rocks but they are quite old now (10+ years) and just doesn't seem to be working, but that might be the way it sucks the water through or something, the whole setup seems to be dying.

What would you guys suggest I look at?

Thanks.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Dasquee,

I would recommend 2 Aqua Clear 110's. Each has 500gph. Your filtration should be 8 to 10 x the volume of your tank when considering a hang on back (HOB) filter system. I love the Aqua Clears, they do a great job and are silent. The link above may help you with your decision.
    I'm sure you'll get more responses soon.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

Thanks for the quick reply Aquarist48. I've looked into the one you've recommended and discovered that I have a slight problem. I've measured it and I have less then 2" behind the tank, and nowhere else I could put a HOB filter... It'd be too risky to move it with water in it, and heavy haha. Are external filter's out of the question? =\

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure you could use some type of canister filtration Dasquee.

Let's see what other responses you receive. I haven't used one personally in a long time so I'm not certain which one is the best. :)

Ken

5. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Eheim Pro 3 or even Eheim Pro II is a great canister filters that easy to use and great for planted tanks.. its not cheap but its a eheim so it will last a long long time. i think the pro 3 turns over 450 gal a hour and it fits under the tank....always a good thing..jmho but as Ken said the AC110 are a great filters.. i have used them for years on a tank with no problems at all

6. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

I went and had a look at my local fish stores to see prices and availability and such.. They carry the Aquaclear 110s, and the price isn't TOO bad at just over $100 ea. But the only canister filter they have even close to the right size is almost $500 D:

I'm wondering if I should try and adapt the tank hood so i could put the 110s on the side instead of the back =\

7. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, id go with a couple of canisters. i just got a 90 that came with a fluval 405, 305 and an ac110. the guy had an oscar and a JD.

the filter system i went with is an XP3 on one side, and a fluval 305 on the other.

9. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

I've done some shopping around today and found... my pet shops are expensive.............

One of them however has 2x AquaOne Aquis 750 canister filters for $99EA so I could get two of them for the same price as most of the others would cost me for one.

One store also has the Fluval 350's for $300 but I think I'd need more then one. They have a 450 for $450 >.>

Thoughts? Money is annoying at the moment but if it's really not worth wasting it on the cheaper ones I can hold off for a few months and get one of the more expensive ones if I really should.

10. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

Kinda in dire need of some help. It's starting to look like I may not even be able to put a canister filter on the tank because of how it's made, and the fact I read this morning the thing the water comes out of should be above the water level. In my tank this simply isn't possible without me taking out enough water so that it's below the tank cap level and looks stupid. =\

Can someone take some pics or something of the water outlet for their canister filter? I'd be greatly appreciative.

11. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Just put in on the floor next to the stand/tank. Works fine.

12. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

It's ok I solved that issue. I think I know what I'm gonna get so prolly gonna pick it up in the morning.

13. OP
    OP
    Dasquee

Picked it up today and installed it. After forgetting to put the rubber seal on and spilling 70+ litres of water all over the place got it working great. It's one for about a 500L tank but was on special so I grabbed it for just over $200. Does about 2000L/Hr so slightly more then needed for my 350L.

So far fish love the new current, much stronger then before. :)
    Thanks for the advice guys. Gonna leave it on for a month before taking other one out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice