Old Dog- Adult Dog Level 2

jenmur
So my old dog (she’s 12 years old) completed the Adult Dog Level 1 class back in August and I signed her up for Level 2 since she enjoyed it. Her classes are on Saturday at 10:30am. The only other dog in the class is a 7 month old Great Pyrenees! Luckily Fergie and Obie got along.
Since Fergie has issues staying (she wants to be next to me) we reviewed that in both Sit and Down forms. Also we worked on Come again. Tried out doing a Down from walking instead of stopping and sitting first. She did pretty good.
So bring a pet store, Petco has stairs to make getting up and down easier for certain pets. I wondered how Fergie would go about getting a treat from in there. It did take a bit for her to put her hind legs on the stairs but eventually Jessica (trainer) and I managed to make an “A frame” for her to go up and over.

Fergie on the stairs

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

In front of her “A frame”

IMG_1138.jpg

Think we will work on standing on hind legs, roll over/play dead and give kisses.

Gypsy13
Fergie sounds fluffy. Like my Kipp. Course Kipp is hairy too. But, he’s still very fluffy.
And it sounds like the look she’s giving you while on the stairs isn’t one of adoration. Sounds kinda frustrated. (Hubby’s words).
She’s probably loving the extra fun y’all are having together.

jenmur
Fergie sounds fluffy. Like my Kipp. Course Kipp is hairy too. But, he’s still very fluffy.
And it sounds like the look she’s giving you while on the stairs isn’t one of adoration. Sounds kinda frustrated. (Hubby’s words).
She’s probably loving the extra fun y’all are having together.

Fergie is a beagle/Jack Russell mix we are told. So a short double coat. Yeah she prefers for me to be next to her, especially doing something new. But she does enjoy going to class. Always gets excited when I grab her leather collar and the bag holding our water bottle and bowl and treats.

Tsukkomu
I love your fur baby!!!!! I have also been wanting to take my dog to lessons at PetCo. I pretty much only shop at PetCo for dog purposes. I absolutely can not live without dogs. I like them more than I like humans.

jenmur
I love your fur baby!!!!! I have also been wanting to take my dog to lessons at PetCo. I pretty much only shop at PetCo for dog purposes. I absolutely can not live without dogs. I like them more than I like humans.

Thanks! Oh yeah I go to Petco for my dog and cat stuff for the most part. If you can find a class scheduled for a time and day you can make it go for it! I talk to everyone at the store and Jessica is a really nice lady and her dogs have been good too. And Fergie likes her. So that’s good in my book! I was originally going to just do one class but Fergie enjoys it so I’m gonna do all three offered.

Tsukkomu
how much do the classes cost?

jenmur
how much do the classes cost?

About $120. So they aren’t cheap. I had to think long and hard about doing one let alone more. I did the first since I figured it would help socialize Fergie some and get her used to different surroundings. She’s from the country. Moved to city recently to live with us. And since she enjoyed it I decided to do this class and then the Canine Good Citizen class

jenmur
Today was another good class. The new thing was Heel. Fergie caught on rather quickly at the store. We shall see how she does practicing during the week. A bunch of people came in our aisle along with a couple dogs and so just worked on Sit, Down and Stand. Also both dogs worked on a longer Stay and Come. Poor Fergie is a velcro dog outside of the house and she hates Staying. But she did good!
Also started teaching her Shake. Although she tends to grab your hand and pull it toward her looking for the treat. Hehe. But we got the start of it.

jenmur
Got my dogs long line for working on Stay and Come from a distance! . Paracord (50ft) and a clip. Total $4. Hehe.

IMG_1348.jpg

Probably will cut it off to 25-30ft length. Because for the Canine Good Citizen I will need 20ft

jenmur
Fergie had another class. Last weekend the trainer went to a dog trainer conference, and the weekend before she was sick. Today it was just Fergie cuz Obie didn’t show up. We worked on Heel with distractions, she did pretty good. A young dog provided the perfect distraction! I did have to get her attention back on me a few times. Poor things just wanted to meet but can’t allow that when I need her attention on me. And lots of people in store today as well! Also did Stay at a longer distance thanks to her new “long lead”. I cut it off at 35’. We only went to 8 or 9 ‘ today but that’s still a longer distance than we’ve been able to do. And we worked on long distance Come. Where Jessica holds her leash and I go somewhere in the store and Fergie has to find me. Overall a good class.
Afterwards I had to get wet cat food for the week and she did good shopping for the first time. We walked through/past three dogs close to each other. And we met a Siberian Husky puppy.

jenmur
Another class done! Hehe. Did more work on Heel, and Stay. Fergie had aisles way more distracting this time! . Did pretty good too! And lots more dogs and people and carts. So she did need more reminders but overall listened well! Signed her up for the Canine Good Citizen classes starting in December.

jenmur
Another class graduated! We could work on whatever we wanted so Fergie worked on Come Stay Wave (which she got down this week! Woo hoo!!!). Also did the beginning of Crawl.

Fergie

IMG_1583.jpg

Obie and Fergie

IMG_1584.jpg

Obie and Fergie will see each other again. They are both signed up for the Canine Good Citizen classes at 8pm starting Dec 3.

WinterSoldier.
Fergie is so cute

jenmur
Fergie is so cute

Thanks! . She is such a good girl most of the time. Glad we have her

Similar Aquarium Threads

• jenmur
  • Dog
Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies