Old betta q

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So our Thomas is approaching on 1 year that we've had him (next month, we bought him for my daughter's last birthday) so I know he is around 2. (Wal Mart baby)

Are there any signs when old bettas are coming to their time? His tail is very ragged(no rot), and all fins are getting very transparent. He seems to still be active, heck he'll flare at me if I dare look at him w/o feeding him! He is also the boy that jumped a week or so back.

I'm just wondering if I should start to prepare my daughter for it? I know she will be upset when his time does come, no matter how long that will be from now.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've only had one boy die from old age. Near the end, he got more and more inactive, he started to lose his lovely violet colour, his fins began to fray (not in a fin rot way though) and get a bit raggedy. He also started to refuse food more often.

I would look for these signs, but like everything else, I'm sure every betta is different, even in the ageing process. This is purely my experience with it.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only thing I've noticed about my boys when they get old are they aren't as active and they're a little less colorful. Drac and Lestat both died of old age at 4 and 5 years old.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm hoping Thomas will live that long!! Hopefully I can get his fins healed up. He hasn't lost any color yet and is still active so good to know this is not the end!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom