Old Betta dying or sick??

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello fellow fish lovers!
i have a male Betta who is about 5 or 6 years old now and he’s not really coming up for food anymore and he is just laying at the bottom of the tank breathing heavier then he normally dose. His colors started fading about a month ago so his colors are very blah which I know isn’t a good thing. Could he just be getting ready to go or is he sick with something?

thanks!

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like old age, he's quite old for a Betta. But make sure to rule out any issues with water quality just to be safe.

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishFor2018 said:
I checked his water yesterday and nothing has changed. Ammonia 0- nitrate 10ish- nitrite 0- pH 8
So it's probably old age then. That's what I thought was most likely, but I wanted to rule out the obvious just to be sure!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is really old for a betta, he is probably just slowing down

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He still hasn’t eaten but has been swimming around some. Any idea on how to get him to eat?

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I believe this is why he has gotten so pale, Sadly he just started pine coning this morning and we all know what that means....dropsy :( I’ve already lost 2 bettas to it in the past so I’m being EXTREMELY throughly about him. I got a hospital set up for him and dosed Kanaplex and I’ll be doing salt baths as well. I can’t believe I didn’t think to look more into his color fading and now he’s paying the price for it. I think it’s the breeder that they come from bc all my bettas that have gotten dropsy were from the same place:mad: any tips on how to help him would be much appreciated b

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom