Old 5gal filter media in a 10gal tank?

melaniecan2001

Howdy! I had been planning to get a new 10 gallon tank for some guppies for a while now. Right now I have a 5 gallon with one betta, I use a sponge filter for him and I added a second sponge filter a month ago to sit stagnant in the tank.

Now that I’ve set up my 10gal and everything, I have a HOB filter, but I’m planning to cycle it like this:

Basically, in my betta tank, I’ll replace the running sponge filter with the one that was sitting in the tank without any air flow (I did this so that it still has some of that bacteria), and then take the used filter and hook it up in my 10 gallon next to the HOB.

Would this work? The sponge filter I’m using is advertised for 2-10 gallons, but by the size of it I probably wouldn’t use it for more than 5-6, which is why I’m holding onto the HOB. How long would it take to be effective?

**Side note, I couldn’t get a second air pump for about a week after I initially set up the 10gal, so I’ve been trying to start the cycle process by putting flakes in the tank. There’s no reading for ammonia or nitrite yet

mrsP

I would think it should work, but really depends on stocking of 10 gallon tank. If stocking is similar to 5 gallon, I wouldn't expect mini cycle, but if more, there might be mini cycle. Usually mini cycle is either nearly noticable or in worst case might need couple of extra water changes, but I think you've planned this well.

Upvote 0

melaniecan2001

I would think it should work, but really depends on stocking of 10 gallon tank. If stocking is similar to 5 gallon, I wouldn't expect mini cycle, but if more, there might be mini cycle. Usually mini cycle is either nearly noticable or in worst case might need couple of extra water changes, but I think you've planned this well.
Thank you!! The plan is to introduce 2, maybe 3 guppies at first, and grow from there. From what I understand, my filter is already enough to handle that, and then overtime it’ll be ready to handle more as the HOB filter seasons as well? Or is that wishful thinking haha

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore

The amount of bacteria in a tank depends on the bio-load in the tank. Since this sponge was sitting in a tank with just a betta in it the sponge won't have a great deal of bacteria on it. You are only going to grow enough bacteria for the amount of ammonia being produced.

There may be enough to jump start the cycle in the 10 gallon but there will not be enough to handle the bio-load of 3 guppies nor enough to instantly cycle the new tank. That really isn't a problem as long as you keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels and keep them down with water changes the guppies should be fine and the bacteria will soon multiply.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views
Goldynewb
Replies
Views