Old 20 Long Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Kay 240, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Kay 240Valued MemberMember

So It finally got warm and I filled my tank and checked it 24 hours later and no leaks but 12 hours later it was down 1/2 inch. lol I think a deer or large dog drank out of my tank on the edge of the deck. Checked with paper towel on all sides and bottom, tank was dry. I think the tank is sound. So I want a sand substrate and a planted tank. I have a bucket of black sandblast sand I'm slowly washing, filthy stuff. Question 1 how do I know when the sand is clean? Particles surface and wash out when I add water under pressure or without?

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

That's hilarious about someone drinking out of the tank! Ugh, cleaning sand is not fun. I would add the water with pressure and just keep at it until it's clear enough for you.

I'd also put an inch of organic potting soil first before adding the sand. You might as well, and the plants will do much better.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kay 240Valued MemberMember

Thanks. How do I keep the soil under the sand

4. DarkOne

DarkOneWell Known MemberMember

You need to use organic potting mix, not potting soil.

Put a 1" layer in the tank and then pour the sand over it. The sand will hold the potting mix down but once you plant, pulling any plants will pull up the potting mix and cloud your water. I found root tabs are just as good or better than potting mix but you have to put tabs every month or 2.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Kay 240Valued MemberMember

Thanks! It's been raining for 2 days so I'm stuck since I don't want to wash the sand in a raincoat. I don't think it's raining hard enough to wash the sand but the bucket is sitting outside

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice