Okay To Use Old Air Pumps?

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Cardeater, Apr 12, 2018.

1. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

I wanted to add an airstone to run a sponge filter in my 125g and I want one in my 10g quarantine.

I was researching air pumps and was ready to buy but then I fold these old air pumps. They are more than 20 years old. I only had some old tubing and an airstone from the battery backup pumps that just arrived. Both seem to work.

Is there any reason not to use these? I read about all these new ones possibly breaking rather quickly (some claim their diaphragms failed on a Tetra one within a few months).

I figure I might as well use these till they break then get new ones. If they break, the tanks will still be well oxygenated so there's no danger there.

Edit:
    For anyone that recognizes old brands, here's what I have:

Second Whisper Challenger III, has two outlets and it seemed to run the cheap airstone all the way at bottom of 125.

Hi-tech pump 320. Says "Spot Brand", Ethical products INC, Newark NJ. This box says copyright 1984. This I'll use on the 10g QT.

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good to me!

3. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

they are fine to use. I have older ones that I got second hand they work. You may eventually find that they might stop pumping as well as the diaphragm wears out, or they can get louder. Might as well use them and save the money for something else fishy. :) ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice