Okay to feed my plants this way? Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I put my breeder mesh thing together and put 2 small algae wafers in it. I figured as they decay the plants will get some food. Any input on this?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Imo they'll just foul the water, best to use root tabs instead

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I also cant see that doing much good for your plants.

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so what product can I use from Petsmart that will be safe for a betta?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of plants? What size tank? What is your lighting?

6. delta5 Well Known Member Member

nvm. I went out and got Seachem: Flourish Excel 500ml bottle. I'll prob try just a drop of it in the beta tank, and dose my 55g at half strength.

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

Excel is liquid CO2, and it sounds like you're trying to supply ferts. What are you actually trying to do?

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Keep the plants looking vibrant. They're growing, but seem droopy.

My tank is a 55g with 23 fish, 14-18 plants, 1 t8-48" 35w full spec light, no air stones.

9. renthus Well Known Member Member

You're running a low light tank, assuming the light in your profile is still right. You really have no reason to add excel or anything like that. Dirt it or use root tabs, if you want, but they aren't going to go nuts, regardless.

10. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Well at least the excel was only 14.99 :(

11. Fishguy18 Initiate Member

Just use some plant conditioner drops

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. renthus Well Known Member Member

You could always get a higher powered light... join the bright side ;)

Are you talking about Flourish comp? That's also overkill for such a low light tank.

13. delta5 Well Known Member Member

The reason i'm thinking I need more nuts is because even after 7 days the nitrate level is only 10ppm max. So I was thinking the plants aren't getting enough food.

14. renthus Well Known Member Member

If there are any nitrates, then the plants haven't run out of nitrates. Low light plants just don't grow very fast, so they don't sponge 'em up much (if at all). If I put 50 java ferns in a low light tank, I wouldn't expect any impact on nitrates.

Also, plants don't just use nitrates. They use potassium, phosphate, and trace minerals as well. However, unless you're either negligibly stocked or very highly lit, you're probably not going to need to supplement those.

15. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I put 5ml in my 20g long with some cheap fish to see how they react. Also put a drop in the betta tank. Since I bought it, I figured i'd try it out to see if it helps with anything.

16. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Seachem Flourish would give your plants the nutrients they need. Excel can't hurt, but isn't needed with low lights. Excel won't hurt. See how your plants react to it

17. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Flourish is what I wanted to get, but they only had excel. I didn't want to get the api stuff.

18. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would also suggest the Flourish Comprehensive if you feel your plants need a little boost. It is a good all around fert with a little of everything they need, just smaller amounts of the macro ferts, N, P, and K, but your fish waste should provide most of that.

19. delta5 Well Known Member Member

This is the first hobby my 2.5yr old and I found that we can do together. He really luvs his fish. I measure and mix their food, but he has to be the one that dumps it in the tank. He gets so mad when I target feed the cichlids pellets after he dumps the food in. Never thought i'd sell my AR-15s to support our hobby, but he is totally worth it.

He knows when the plants could use a little aid. The light brown on the leafs are prob grown algae, but he points them out to me and says, 'more green.' He calls the smallest green tiger barb, 'baby green,' the tiger barbs, 'tigers,' cichlids, 'yellow fishy,' and so on.

I just wish we could get a single blue cichlid that would fit in with the other cichlids.

20. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

The excel will help remove algae from the plants.
    Dosing fertilizers should be done minimally with low light setups, as buildups can become toxic to your fish.
    I would suggest using only root tabs if you have rosette or stem plants. Flourish can be used as well, but make sure you are doing weekly water changes before dosing, to reduce excess.